skip to content
Primary navigation

Renewal of Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) License

To practice advanced practice registered nursing in Minnesota an individual must be licensed and currently registered as an RN and as an APRN. To maintain a current APRN license in Minnesota, you must hold:

  • A current Minnesota RN license 
  • Current certification as an advanced practice registered nurse in the role and population for which you are licensed.
  • You must renew your RN and APRN Licenses

The registration expiration date of your RN and APRN license is the same date and is determined by the month and year of your birth. Your RN and APRN registrations expire on the last day of your birth month and in an odd or even year depending on your birth year. For example, if you were born in July 1975, your RN and APRN registrations expire the last day of July 2015.

In addition to the online RN renewal process, the Board of Nursing has established an online APRN renewal process including the ability to accept the APRN renewal fee of $85. You must renew both your RN and APRN registration online at the Board’s website at or make a written request to receive a paper RN and APRN renewal application in the mail.  If you fail to renew your RN and APRN registration, your RN and APRN registration will expire and you will not be authorized to practice as an RN or an APRN. Contact the Board when you want to reregister your RN or APRN registration.  Reregistration requirements are different from renewal requirements and are subject to change.

Important information to know:

  • You have the responsibility to maintain a current mailing address with the Board for the purpose of receiving Board communication or notices, including renewal of registration.
  • It is your responsibility to ensure the Board has verification of your current certification status. The Board must receive verification of certification status directly from the certifying body when you renew your certification.

If you have questions or comments regarding any of this information, call 612-317-3000.

back to top