Pursuant to M.S. 15.0145, the Council is a state agency created to advise the Legislature and the Governor on issues of importance to Asian Pacific Minnesotans (APM), advocate on behalf of the community on these issues, and serve as a bridge for the APM community and non-APMs.
The Council will actively track and support legislation in the following areas:
- Achievement Gap
- Health Disparities and Coverage Access
- Economic Development and Employment Opportunities
- Cultural Preservation and Awareness
- Affordable Housing Access
The Council, in addition to its annual legislative priorities derived from community input, will actively advocate for legislation that achieves the following:
- Programs and services that are respectful of and responsive to the linguistically and culturally diverse communities of Minnesota, including Asian Pacific Minnesotans.
- Collection of disaggregated data to better inform policy-making on issues of importance to Asian Pacific Minnesotans.
- Increased understanding of violence against Minnesota’s Asian Pacific women and children.