2020 Legislative Priorities
Pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 15.0145, the Council works toward economic, social, legal, and political equality for Minnesotans of Asian and Pacific Islander (API) heritage.
The Council will actively track and pursue legislation in the following areas:
- Higher Education Affordability and Access
- Data Disaggregation
- Healthcare Access
- Equity and Social Justice
- Immigration Rights
The Council will actively advocate for legislation that achieves the following:
- Programs and services that are respectful of and responsive to the linguistically and culturally diverse communities of Minnesota, including Asian Pacific Minnesotans.
- Continued collection of more nuanced data, such as data being collected by the Department of Education pursuant to the All Kids Count Act, to better inform policy-making on issues of importance to Asian Pacific Minnesotans.
- Increased understanding of the causes and prevention of violence against Minnesota’s Asian Pacific women and children.
* These issues were self-identified as high priority in the 2019 Legislative Priorities Survey.