Reactivate or Reinstate License
Requirements for conversion of an inactive license to active status:
1. Verification of licensure in good standing from the state you are currently practicing in and documentation of having met that state’s continuing education requirements, OR
2. If inactive and residing in Minnesota, documentation of having met Minnesota CE requirements of 20 CE credits per year retroactive to the date of license inactivation
3. Certification by applicant that the applicant is not currently under disciplinary orders or investigation for acts that could result in disciplinary action in any other veterinary licensing jurisdiction
4. Completed Criminal Background Check (see below for details); and
5. Payment of a fee equal to the full difference between an inactive and unrestricted license if converting during the first year of the biennial license cycle or payment of a fee equal to one-half the difference between an inactive and an unrestricted license if converting during the second year of the license cycle.
Requirements for conversion of retired license to active status:
1. If requesting reinstatement in ACTIVE status, documentation of having met Minnesota CE requirements of 20 CE credits per year retroactive to the date of license expiration (complete CE form below - not required for INACTIVE reinstatement);
2. Certification by applicant that the applicant is not currently under disciplinary orders or investigation for acts that could result in disciplinary action in any other veterinary licensing jurisdiction;
3. Completed Criminal Background Check (see below for details); and
4. Payment of the renewal fee in effect on the last preceding regular renewal date, plus all back fees and late fees
Requirements for reinstatement of a suspended license within five years after its suspension:
1. Payment of the renewal fee for Active or Inactive license in effect on the last preceding regular renewal date, plus all back fees, late fees, and reinstatement fee. Back fees include the regular license renewal fee and late fee for each biennial renewal period.
2. Provision of satisfactory evidence of meeting yearly continuing education requirements (20 hours) for the lapsed period of the license; and
3. Completed Criminal Background Check (see below for details).
Failure to renew a suspended license within five years after its suspension requires application for a new license contingent on the following conditions:
(1) the person is of good moral character
(2) no fact, circumstance, or condition exists which, if the license were issued, would justify its revocation or suspension
(3) retaking and passing the state jurisprudence examination
(4) payment of all fees required for a new license
Note: a suspended license must be renewed before it can be voluntarily retired.
Please contact the Board at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651-201-2844 to request a form to reinstate or reactivate your license. The Board will calculate and provide details about fee payment on the form.
Criminal Background Check
Minnesota law and Board policy now require that all applicants for initial licensure or license reinstatement must complete a fingerprint-based criminal background check (Minn. Stat. § 214.075). Veterinarians with existing licenses will be required to have a one-time criminal background check (CBC) in the future in conjunction with license renewal.
The Minnesota Health Licensing Boards have cooperatively established the Criminal Background Check Program to help you efficiently complete this mandatory background check. Fingerprints are crosschecked with databases of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and Federal Bureau of Investigation.
When you apply for reinstatement, the criminal background check fee ($33.25) must be bundled into your other licensing fees and paid at the same time. After you have paid all required reinstatement fees and the criminal background check fee, you will be sent a packet containing additional information and directions from the Criminal Background Check Program via email. You are responsible for having your fingerprints taken promptly and for completing all required paperwork so as to not delay finalizing your license reinstatement. Previously taken fingerprints cannot be used. Some agencies charge a fee for fingerprinting services. Fingerprinting can be done without a fee at the Criminal Background Check Program office at the address below. Please contact that office to make an appointment after you receive the information packet.
See the Criminal Background Check information page on our website for more details.