skip to content
Primary navigation

Foreign Graduate Information

Temporary and Specialty VMC Clinician Licenses CANNOT be applied for online. You MUST use the designated paper form. 

There are two certification programs for graduates of non-accredited veterinary schools - the Educational Commission for Foreign Veterinary Graduates (ECFVG) and the Program for the Assessment of Veterinary Education Equivalence (PAVE).

Effective August 1, 2008, both programs are accepted for licensure in Minnesota. Detailed information on the ECFVG program is available from the AVMA. Detailed information on PAVE is available from the AAVSB.

To apply for a Minnesota license, candidates must first pass the North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE).

The temporary license is valid until the candidate obtains ECFVG/PAVE certification or for a maximum of two years from the date of issue.

Fees: Pay by check or money order to Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine. All payments must be in U.S. funds and are non-refundable. 

- $50 Application Fee (NOTE: This is required and is separate from the NAVLE application fee which is paid to NBVME) 
- $50 Jurisprudence Examination Fee 
- $33.25 Criminal Background Check Fee 
- $200 Initial 2-year License Fee

TOTAL: $333.25

Temporary License Application form

Temporary License Application and Criminal Background Check Process Flow Chart


Foreign-trained veterinarians who are faculty clinicians at the University of Minnesota VMC may apply for a license as a Specialty VMC Clinician or as a Temporary Clinician.

Please contact the Board office if you have any questions.

Applications will be deemed abandoned if all licensing requirements are not completed within one year after the application has been filed with the board.

back to top