LADC Continuing Education
Every two years, all licensees must complete a minimum of 40 clock hours of continuing education activities. Continuing education is reported at the time of renewal.
The 40 clocks hours shall include;
- A minimum of 9 hours on diversity; and
- A minimum of 3 clock hours of professional ethics.
Cultural Diversity Requirement:
Hours completed in any of the following cultural/population groups will be accepted:
- African American
- Asian American
- Native American
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and Non-binary individuals
This list is not inclusive. Other cultural/population groups can be accepted for this requirement.
Clock hours may be earned through the following:
(1) Attendance at educational programs of annual conferences, lectures, panel discussions, workshops, in-service training, seminars, and symposia;
(2) Successful completion of college or university courses offered by a regionally accredited school or education program, if not being taken in order to meet the educational requirements for licensure under this chapter. The licensee must obtain a grade of at least a "C" or its equivalent or a pass in a pass/fail course. One semester credit is equal to 15 clock hours;
(3) Successful completion of home study or online courses offered by an accredited school or education program and that require a licensee to demonstrate knowledge following completion of the course;
(4) Teaching a course at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. To qualify for continuing education credit, the course must directly relate to the practice of alcohol and drug counseling, as determined by the board. Continuing education hours may be earned only for the first time the licensee teaches the course. Ten continuing education hours may be earned for each semester credit hour taught; or
(5) Presentations at workshops, seminars, symposia, meetings of professional organizations, in-service training, or postgraduate institutes. The presentation must be related to alcohol and drug counseling. A presenter may claim one hour of continuing education for each hour of presentation time. A presenter may also receive continuing education hours for development time at the rate of three hours for each hour of presentation time. Continuing education hours may be earned only for the licensee's first presentation on the subject developed.
Required Reporting Information:
It is essential that you keep complete and accurate records. Do not send verification of attendance, certificates of attendance, or any records to the BBHT unless requested by the Board for auditing purposes.
Continuing Education Audit
The Board will audit continuing education based on a random selection of licensees each renewal period. If you are randomly selected as part of an audit, you will receive a letter notifying you of this shortly after you renew your license.
- You will be required to send in copies of all of your continuing education records (certificates of attendance, transcripts, etc.) showing that you have met the continuing education requirements.
Note: The Board may also audit continuing education if they have reason to believe the information is inaccurate.
Not finished with your CEUs?
Visit the Variance Request Page for more information regarding continuing education variance options.