LPC Exam Information
According to Minnesota Statutes 148B.53
, applicants for LPC licensure must pass a national exam that is accepted by the Board. The exam may be taken any time after you have graduated from a masters or doctoral program in counseling or a related field.
Note: Passing the national exam does not mean your license has been issued. Your license will be issued only after you submit a license application and fees and the Board determines you have met all the licensure requirements.
Exams Accepted by the Board for LPC Licensure:
- National Counselor Examination (NCE) administered by NBCC;
- National Clinical Mental Health Counseling Examination (NCMHCE) administered by NBCC; (recommended for individuals seeking LPCC licensure in the future)
- Certified Rehabilitation Counselor Examination (CRC) administered by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certifiction (CRCC); and
- Examination for the Professional Practice of Psychology (EPPP) administered by the Association of State and Provincial Psychology Boards (ASPPB).
Exams Not Accepted by the Board:
- National Examination in Martial and Family Therapy (NEMFT) offered by the Association of Marital and Family Therapy Regulatory Board (AMFTRB);
- Certified Employee Assistance Professional Examination (CEAP) offered by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission (EACC); and
- National Certified School Counselor Examination (NCSCE) offered by the NBCC.
How to request a Review of a Different National Examination:
- Submit information (Type of Exam, Test Administrator/owner. etc.) regarding the National Examination you wish to have considered with your Licensure Application;
- The Examination Evaluation Committee will review your request prior to reviewing your Licensure application
- You will be notified regarding the Committees decision.
Note: If the exam is not acceptable, you will need to pass an acceptable exam before your License can be issued.
NCE/NCMHCE Exam Registration:
Follow the link below to register for the National Exam.
If you have any questions about the NCE or NCMHCE Examination, please call NBCC at +336-547-0607.