skip to content
Primary navigation

Apply for a Temporary Permit

Temporary Permit Requirements 

Permit requirements under Minnesota Statutes section 148F.035 are as follows: 

  • Academic Degree: Associates degree or the equivalent (60-semester credits)

  • Course Work: Documentation of 270 clock hours (18-semester credits) of specific alcohol and drug counseling coursework

  • Practicum/Internship: 880-hour alcohol and drug counseling practicum

  • Supervisor: All temporary permit holders must be supervised by a supervisor who is a Minnesota Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor or other Licensed professional practicing alcohol and drug counseling under Minnesota Statutes section 148F.11. 

All of the educational requirements above must be completed through an accredited school. 

Specific Coursework requirements for the Temporary Permit   

Applicants must demonstrate that the coursework completed covers the following areas. 
  1. An overview of the transdisciplinary foundations of alcohol and drug counseling, including theories of chemical dependency, the continuum of care, and the process of change; 
  2. Pharmacology of substance abuse disorders and the dynamics of addiction, including medication-assisted therapy; 
  3. Professional and ethical responsibilities; 
  4. Co-occurring disorders; and
  5. Each core function as defined in section 148F.01, subdivision 10

Application Process 

back to top