skip to content
Primary navigation

Filing a Complaint


Complaint Registration Form

  • You can file a complaint with the Board if your licensed social worker:
    • Mistreated you in any way
    • Was dishonest in providing services or billing
    • Released information without consent
    • Did not provide appropriate treatment
    • Did not practice safely and competently
    • Developed a personal relationship with you
    • Has an illness that impairs their ability to practice safely
  • The Board’s authority to investigate complaints is limited to:
    • Individuals licensed with the Board of Social Work
    • Applicants for licensure with the Board of Social Work
    • Individuals practicing social work or using the title social worker without a license
    • *The Board has no authority over unlicensed county social workers, as social work licensure for individuals employed with the county is voluntary under Minnesota law
  • To file a complaint, download the Complaint Registration Form
    • A complaint must be filed in writing
    • Complaints may be submitted via email, fax, or mail
  • Submit the form with a detailed description of your concerns about the social worker and any information you think the Board should know, for example:
    • What happened? Who did what, where, when, and why?
    • Were other social workers involved? Were there any witnesses? If so, describe each person’s involvement or role
    • Provide as much detail about the people involved as you can (full name, address, phone number, place of employment, social worker’s license number and/or type, etc.)
    • Arrange information in date order or some other logical way as if you are explaining the situation to someone who knows nothing about it
    • Include copies of any documents that might help the Board understand your complaint
  • For complete information, review the following resources:
back to top