skip to content
Primary navigation

Apply for a License


Apply for Permanent License

There are four permanent social work license types in Minnesota. You can apply for a license by examination if you do not have a current social work license in another state or jurisdiction, or apply by endorsement if you have a current social work license in another state or jurisdiction. The Board recommends that current social work students apply for a license six months before graduation for the best application process. Review complete requirements in Minnesota Statutes section 148E.055 and follow the links below for detailed information about requirements for each license type:


Apply for a Temporary License

A temporary license allows you to begin authorized social work practice for a time-limited period, in very limited situations, and can typically be issued more quickly than a permanent license. If you will start a social work position in Minnesota before your permanent license is issued, and you qualify for one of the three temporary license options, apply for a temporary license to avoid unlicensed practice. 
back to top