Professor John McKnight: Capacity Building Beyond Community Services
Anyone interested in successfully including people on the margins into neighborhood and community life needs to listen to John McKnight and study asset based community development. John is a community organizer, an academic and a brilliant story-teller. He is deeply committed to promoting the ability and capacity of people, their neighbors and their associations. He believes every community has welcoming places and people and that every person has a gift, ability or skill to share...
John McKnight (continued)
About John McKnight and the Asset-Based Community Development Institute
Five basic resources people use to make things better
How did you become interested in neighborhoods?
Defining "community" and "neighborhood"
What were the findings of the study program and what was your reaction to them?
Describe what you mean by "Services cannot deliver well-being?"
What is your advice for people with disabilities on becoming part of the community, as you have defined it?
Do you have anything to say to parents who have a child who has been diagnosed and labeled as having disabilities?
About the Web Site ABCDInstitute.org
There are many approaches to community organizing. The heart and soul of John McKnight's approach are all of the people who live in a community, and the wealth of their combined gifts, abilities, and skills that create a welcoming and wholly inclusive environment.
Here he brings this concept to life and talks about the key elements of asset based community development through his wit and the art of storytelling.
Presentation conducted: February 17, 2012 Posted: May 25, 2012
John McKnight, a community organizer and gifted story teller, is committed to the concepts and principles of asset based community development – discovering and enhancing the abilities, capacities, gifts and skills of every member of every neighborhood and community. In a conversation with Cormac Russell, Managing Director of the UK based consulting and research organization, Nurture Development, John McKnight and Peter Block speak about the renewal of communities, local living, and cooperation. (7-25-17)Play Conversation:
Abundantcommunity.com Audio Recordings Page Transcript
John McKnight Resources and Documents:
- The Asset-Based Community Development Institute
- Abundant Community: Awakening the Power of Families and Neighborhoods
- Beyond Community Services
- Biography of John McKnight (1985)
- Capacity Inventory (1987)
- Community and its Counterfeits (2008)
- Getting Connected: How to Find Out About Groups and Organizations in Your Neighborhood (1988)
- The Gift of Hospitality: Opening the Doors of Community Life to People with Disabilities (1988)
- How Do We Know When We Have Community? (1986)
- John Deere and the Bereavement Counselor (1984)
- NADDC Planner's Conference: Transcript of John McKnight Presentation (1991)
- The Need for Oldness (1978)
- On Good Works and Good Work (1977)
- Social Policy and the Poor: A Nation of Clients? (1980)
- Things Go Better with Neighbors (1986)
- "Why Servanthood is Bad" (1989)