People with Disabilities


Consumer Support Grant Program

Program info

The Consumer Support Grant program is a state-funded alternative to Medicaid home care services of home health aide, personal care assistance and/or private duty nursing.

Medicaid services are paid for with a combination of state and federal money. The Consumer Support Grant Program allows eligible consumers to convert the state portion of payments for specific home care services into a cash grant. The monthly cash grants replace fee-for-service home care services payments. With county assistance, consumers can manage and pay for a variety of home and community-based services.

The CSG program gives consumers greater flexibility and freedom of choice in service selection, payment rates, service delivery specifications and employment of service providers. Parents, spouses, family members, trusted neighbors or friends can be paid for service, as well as employees of traditional home care provider agencies.

Consumers may choose the participant employer option and act as the employer of their direct support workers. For more information, please see Participant Employer Options.



To be eligible, a person must meet all these criteria:

  • Be enrolled in or eligible for Medical Assistance
  • Be eligible to receive home care services from the Medical Assistance Home Care Program
  • Demonstrate limitations in everyday functioning, such as self-care, language, learning, mobility, self direction, capacity for independent living and economic self-sufficiency
  • Require ongoing supports to live in the community
  • Live in a natural home setting
  • Live in a county that offers the Consumer Support Grant program.

Consumers cannot get this grant while receiving services through Minnesota's Alternative Care program, home and community-based service waivers, managed care programs or MA home health aide services, personal care assistance or private duty nursing.



Grant amounts are based on home care assessments and ratings for home health aide, private duty nursing or personal care assistant services. Consumers can get an estimate of their grant from their county coordinator or the DHS Consumer Support Grant coordinator.

Consumers will work with their case manager to develop a service plan. The plan will identify the supports needed and a method for documenting payments for those supports.

The grant can be used to pay for a variety of supports beyond home health aide, private duty nursing and PCA services. Other services or items must be related to the consumer's functional limitation and be over and above the normal costs of caring for the person if they had no disability.

All other available sources of payment should be exhausted before use of the Consumer Support Grant. Grants may be distributed as cash, vouchers for services or direct payments to vendors. The administering agency determines the method and schedule for grant distribution.



Contact your local county agency or tribe (PDF) to apply for the grant. Currently, not all counties offer the Consumer Support Grant.

For more information, view the Consumer Support Grant Program fact sheet (PDF).


Report/Rate this pageReport/Rate this page