People with Disabilities


Client appeal rights

Your rights

If you disagree with an action taken or you feel the Department of Human Services (DHS) did not act on your application, you have several options open to you.



Make a verbal complaint

You may make a verbal complaint about the services or about how your case was handled. Call the HIV/AIDS program staff at 651-431-2414 or 800-657-3761. Staff will respond verbally to your complaint.

Make a formal complaint

If you are unhappy with the explanation and/or the decision made during the verbal process, you make a formal complaint. Call the HIV/AIDS program administrator at 651-431-2414 or 800-657-3761, The administrator will:

  • Verbally respond to your appeal
  • Document the outcome of the conversation(s)
  • Send you a letter within 14 days of the final phone contact with you


If you disagree with the result from complaint process, you may appeal the decision and request a hearing. You must appeal  within 30 days of the incident or the written decision from the complaint process. Tell one or both of the following contacts of your intent to appeal:

HIV/AIDS Programs Administration

HIV/AIDS Programs
Department of Human Services
PO Box 64972
St. Paul, MN 55164-0972

Twin Cities metro area: 651-431-2414 (voice) or 651-431-7414 (fax)
Statewide: 1-800-657-3761 (voice) or 1-800-627-3529 (TTY)

State Appeals Office

Department of Human Services
444 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155-3813

If you request an appeal after 30 days, the hearing officer will schedule a hearing and decide if you had a good reason for requesting your hearing late.


Continue services during your appeal

If any of your HIV/AIDS services will end because of the DHS decision(s) and you want your services to continue until after the hearing is held, you must appeal:

  • Before the date of the proposed action or
  • Within 10 days from the date on the DHS HIV/AIDS Programs notice

Report/Rate this pageReport/Rate this page