People with Disabilities


Adult protection

Minnesota strives to ensure safe environments and services for vulnerable adults and encourages reporting of suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults.

  • Definitions of vulnerable adult and maltreatment

    A vulnerable adult can be anyone over age 18 who:

    • Has a physical, mental or emotional disorder that makes it difficult for the person to care for themselves without help and to protect themselves from maltreatment
    • Is in a hospital, nursing home, transitional care unit, assisted living, housing with services, board and care, foster care or other licensed care facility
    • Receives services such as home care, day services, personal care assistance or other licensed services.

    Maltreatment includes:

    • Abuse, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse, use of restraints, involuntary seclusion or punishment
    • Neglect, including failure to provide necessary food, shelter, clothing, health care or supervision because of neglect by a caregiver or because the vulnerable adult cannot meet their own needs
    • Financial exploitation, including theft or withholding of money or property and/or use of money or property not for the vulnerable adult’s benefit.
  • Reporting suspected maltreatment

    Minnesota encourages good faith reporting of suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults by any person. If you make a report, your identity is confidential and cannot be released without a court order.

    Reports are reviewed to see if immediate protective services are needed. Reports of an alleged crime are referred to law enforcement. All reports of suspected maltreatment are also referred to a lead investigative agency, which may be the county or the state departments of Health or Human Services.

    Report suspected maltreatment of a vulnerable adult to the common entry point (CEP) in the county where the vulnerable adult is located. Each county has established a CEP to take reports 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You can find the number you need either:

Report/Rate this pageReport/Rate this page