People with Disabilities


Adult protection

Minnesota strives to ensure safe environments and services for vulnerable adults and encourages reporting of suspected maltreatment. 

The Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center provides a toll-free number, 844-880-1574, the general public can call to report suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults. Mandated reportersincluding law enforcement, educators, doctors, nurses, social workers and other licensed professionalscan use a web-based reporting system. Reports will be promptly submitted to the appropriate investigative agencies. 

  • Definitions of vulnerable adult and maltreatment

    A vulnerable adult can be anyone over age 18 who:

    • Has a physical, mental or emotional disorder that makes it difficult for the person to care for themselves without help and to protect themselves from maltreatment
    • Is in a hospital, nursing home, transitional care unit, assisted living, housing with services, board and care, foster care or other licensed care facility
    • Receives services such as home care, day services, personal care assistance or other licensed services.

    Maltreatment includes:

    • Abuse, including physical, emotional and sexual abuse, use of restraints, involuntary seclusion or punishment
    • Neglect, including failure to provide necessary food, shelter, clothing, health care or supervision because of neglect by a caregiver or because the vulnerable adult cannot meet their own needs
    • Financial exploitation, including theft or withholding of money or property and/or use of money or property not for the vulnerable adult’s benefit.
  • Reporting suspected maltreatment - Updated July 1, 2015

    Minnesota encourages good faith reporting of suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults by any person. If you make a report, your identity is confidential and cannot be released without a court order.

    Reports are reviewed to see if immediate protective services are needed. Reports of an alleged crime are referred to law enforcement. All reports of suspected maltreatment are also referred to a lead investigative agency, which may be the county or the state departments of Health or Human Services.

    Information contained in reports of suspected maltreatment of a vulnerable made to the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center is confidential under Minnesota law. The Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center cannot provide information about a  report to anyone, including the reporter, once a report is completed. Once a report is referred to the lead investigative agency responsible, different parts of the law cover how information in the report can be shared, but the identity of the reporter remains protected. Contact the county or state agency responsible for the report for questions about a completed report.

    Report suspected maltreatment of a vulnerable adult to the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center at 844-880-1574 which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Mandated reporters

    Mandated reporters include law enforcement, educators, doctors, nurses, social workers and other licensed professionals. 

    Mandated reporters can use an online reporting tool. Instructions on how to use the tool will be provided through licensing agencies, boards and professional organizations. 

    Use of the mandated reporting form is self-explanatory and does not require training or experience. The form asks for information about the vulnerable adult, suspected maltreatment and alleged perpetrator. 

    When the completed form is submitted, mandated reporters will receive a report reference number for their records. Mandated reporters can download, save and print a copy of their report. 

    Reporting by phone remains an option for mandated reporters.

Report/Rate this pageReport/Rate this page