Note: To attend courses, you must be registered online prior to the course start date. Before you register, please follow your agency's procedures and policies regarding encumbering funds for the course.
This popular course is now being offered online with an increased focus on facilitating in the online environment. Participants will still acquire skills needed to enable people to work together in constructive and productive ways, learning from professional facilitators and from each other. Classes will take place over four half-days. Participants will receive a copy of Sam Kaner’s Facilitator’s Guide to Participatory Decision-Making, which is full of key concepts and practical tools to help increase participation in group discussions and decisions. The course is appropriate for any public-sector employee who is called upon to facilitate meetings. Both novice and experienced facilitators will benefit from the course.
You will learn to:
- Design, conduct, and evaluate effective meetings;
- Establish ground rules for successful meetings;
- Apply group processes and frameworks for managing change and making decisions;
- Organize the flow of topics so that meetings have a beginning, middle, and end;
- Plan pre- and postmeeting practices that increase the likelihood of success for your group;
- Use technology to enhance meeting productivity and connections;
- Identify appropriate approaches to difficult situations;
- Use basic skills, such as flip chart writing, brainstorming, listening, open discussion, and decision-making; and
- Identify your own facilitation style and build confidence with leading meetings.
Cost: $750 four half-days (includes book and materials)