skip to content
Primary navigation

Out-of-State Reciprocity

Complete basic police training in another state or federal law enforcement, and work in a law enforcement capacity for three years following basic training and possess a post-secondary degree;  

Or five years following basic training if the individual does not possess a post-secondary degree. Candidates for reciprocity must have been working in law enforcement within the past six years.

 A post-secondary degree and three years of experience working as an officer, or five years of peace officer experience. Candidates should take care to choose the appropriate reciprocity application: one is for out-of-state/federal government law enforcement; and the other is for military police experience.

Each application contains information that should enable candidates to determine whether they are eligible or not, however they must submit a signed application, fee, and supporting documentation so that Minnesota POST can make a final determination


back to top