skip to content
Primary navigation

Lawyers & Litigants

Workers' Compensation General Proceedings Guide

The Office of Administrative Hearings conducts settlement conferences, mediations and hearings for disputed workers’ compensation claims.  The conferences and hearings are conducted in an impartial and fair manner. The following information provides a general overview of the workers' compensation process at OAH. The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry also publishes a guide to the workers’ compensation process.  

  • Statutes and Rules

    The following statutes and rules are commonly used and referred to throughout the duration of a workers’ compensation proceeding:

    Back to top
  • Minn. Stat. § 176.239 Administrative Conferences

    If an employer or insurer discontinues an employee’s wage loss benefits, the employer must provide the employee with a form called a Notice of Intention to Discontinue Benefits (NOID). Parties who disagree with the decision to discontinue wage loss benefits may request a .239 Conference by contacting OAH within the timeline given on the form (usually within 12 days after the NOID is received by the state).

    Submit a request for a .239 Conference via eFiling or by US Mail.

    If you are a self-represented employee and do not have an attorney, you may also request a .239 Conference by telephone. Call OAH at 651-361-7901 and leave a message with the following information:

    • Your name and contact information;
    • Your worker identification number (WID);
    • Your date of injury;
    • The date the Notice of Intention to Discontinue (NOID) was served;
    • Which box on the NOID is checked:
      • If box 1 or 2 is checked, state the return to work date;
      • If box 3 is checked, state the reason;
    • If no NOID was filed, the final payment date;
    • The names of the employer, insurer, the insurer's attorney, and the QRC, if known;
    • If an interpreter is needed, please state the requested language.

    OAH will send the parties a notice of the .239 Conference date within three business days after receipt of the conference request.

    .239 Conferences are held on an informal basis without sworn testimony.  At the .239 Conference, parties should be prepared to explain the reason(s) why wage loss benefits should or should not be discontinued and provide relevant documents to support their position.

    Back to top
  • Settlement Conferences

    Typically, OAH schedules every case for a settlement conference.  The purpose of a settlement conference is to discuss resolution of the dispute.  At least seven days prior to the settlement conference, the employee or employee’s attorney must submit a settlement proposal to the opposing party.  In addition, parties are required to file a Pretrial Statement at least five business days prior to the settlement conference.  Further instructions about pretrial statements can be found in the Standing Pretrial Order.

    At the settlement conference, the parties should be prepared to enter into settlement discussions. Necessary person(s) with settlement authority must be present or available by phone. A Compensation Judge will facilitate the discussion at the conference.  If the matter does not settle at the settlement conference, it will proceed to hearing.  If the matter is resolved, the parties will sign a Stipulation for Settlement and submit it to a Compensation Judge for approval.

    Back to top
  • Mediation

    OAH offers mediation services at no charge to the parties.  Visit the mediation page for further details and instructions on how to schedule mediation with a Compensation Judge.
    Back to top
  • Hearings

    Hearings are scheduled in St. Paul at 600 North Robert Street, in Duluth at 11 East Superior Street  Suite 180, and throughout the state at hub locations. Once a hearing date is set, OAH notifies all parties in writing of the date, time and place of the hearing.

    If an interpreter is required for the hearing, a party must make that request at least 30 days prior to the hearing. If an interpreter is requested, one will be provided at no cost to the parties. Visit the Court Services page for information on how to request an interpreter.

    Hearings are held before a Compensation Judge. The Compensation Judge may request an opening statement by each party. Witnesses are sworn in before testifying. The parties have a right to present their own witnesses and cross-examine witnesses presented by other parties. Parties may submit documents and reports that they wish the Compensation Judge to consider as part of their case. Each party may present a closing statement on the claim and defenses. All hearings are recorded digitally or by court reporter. After the hearing, the Compensation Judge will issue a Findings and Order, which is the decision of the case.

    Back to top
  • Settlements and Stipulation Assistance

    Pursuant to Minn. R. 1420.2050, a stipulation for settlement must be filed within 45 days of the date the parties reached a settlement agreement. If the stipulation is not timely filed, and good cause for the delay is not shown after notice to the parties, the judge shall reinstate the matter on the active trial calendar, strike or dismiss the matter, or schedule the matter for another proceeding. OAH shall assist the parties in finalizing and filing a stipulation for settlement.

    If a case has settled, the parties should notify OAH in one of these three ways:

    If no stipulation has been filed 15 days after OAH receives notice of case settlement, a reminder letter is sent to all parties on the case. 

    If no stipulation has been filed 30 days after OAH receives notice of case settlement, a reminder notice is sent to all parties on the case. 

    If no stipulation has been filed 18 days after the reminder notice is issued, the case is referred to the assigned judge for action. The judge may choose to reinstate the matter on the active trial calendar, strike or dismiss the matter, or schedule the matter for another proceeding.

    Back to top
  • Appeals

    Any party has the right to appeal the Findings and Order of the Compensation Judge. A Notice of Appeal must be filed within 30 days after notice of the judge’s decision has been served by the Office of Administrative Hearings. Specific requirements of the Notice of Appeal, along with instructions on how to serve the Notice of Appeal, can be found in Minn. Stat. § 176.421, subd. 4

    The Notice of Appeal must be received at OAH by 4:30 p.m. on the day the filing is due.  A Notice of Appeal received after 4:30 p.m. is considered filed the next business day.  OAH must receive a check for the $25 filing fee with the Notice of Appeal.  To constitute a timely appeal, the original filing fee check must be received by OAH within 10 business days after the end of the appeal period. OAH will send an acknowledgment of the appeal after the filing fee is received. The Notice of Appeal must also be served on the Department of Labor and Industry before the statutory deadline.

    Pursuant to Minn. Stat. § 176.421, subd. 3a, the respondent may cross-appeal within the 30-day period for taking an appeal, or within 15 days after service of the Notice of Appeal on that respondent, whichever is later. Each appellant and cross-appellant must also pay the $25 filing fee.

    The Workers’ Compensation Court of Appeals (WCCA) will review the hearing record. The WCCA can affirm, reverse, remand, or modify the Compensation Judge's order. All parties will receive a copy of the WCCA decision. Any party may also appeal the WCCA decision to the Minnesota Supreme Court.

    Back to top
back to top