Licensure via Portfolio is a non-traditional option for earning a Minnesota teaching license. The portfolio provides an alternative process to assess the knowledge, skills and competencies of individuals seeking a license who may not have completed an approved teacher preparation program in the licensure field being sought.
Step 1: Intent to Submit
- You must have a minimum of a Baccalaureate degree with sufficient teaching and/or related experiences to be eligible for the portfolio process.
- Licensed Minnesota Teachers may be eligible to add an endorsement or additional license to their current license(s).
- Review the Licensure Grids for specific content standards to determine ability to demonstrate competency for all standards.
- Download the Intent to Submit Form. This form must be completed and returned to the Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board a minimum of 30 days prior to submission of the portfolio.
Step 2: Portfolio Evaluation
- The evaluation of your portfolio will be completed 90 days after the submission of your portfolio and review fee. Evaluation review of portfolios are performed by external content experts.
- The portfolio fee is $300 for the first portfolio submitted for review and a $200 fee for any portfolio submitted subsequently.
- Portfolio Review Fees are nonrefundable.
Step 3: Testing Requirement
Step 4: Final Recommendation
The Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board provides recommendation for approval or denial of the submitted portfolio.
- Approved: You will be recommended for licensure and may submit an application for a Minnesota Teaching License. Application fees will apply.
- Not Approved: You may resubmit your portfolio one time to provide further competency in areas identified as deficient in the evaluation. Mailing expenses will be billed to the applicant.
Note: The above process is subject to change pending the outcome of new rules pertaining to Licensure via Portfolio.
If you have questions contact portfolio.PELSB@state.mn.us .