2015: "Parallels in Time: A History of Developmental Disabilities"
"Parallels in Time: A History of Developmental Disabilities" documents the progress and setbacks, the advancements and reversals, of the attitudes and actions of human beings toward people with developmental disabilities. https://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels/
This feature provides fascinating insights into the evolution of attitudes as time marches on:
- The Ancient Era 1500 B.C. – 475 A.D.
- The Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation 476 A.D. – 1500 A.D.
- The 17th and 18th Centuries
- The Rise of the Institutions 1800-1950
- The Reawakening 1950-1980
- The Independent Living Movement 1970 –
- The Self-Advocacy Movement 1980 –
Also included are a video, document, and slide index, a poster archive, and a powerful summary called "The ADA Legacy Project," found in the section labeled "ADA Legacy: Moments in Disability History." https://mn.gov/mnddc/parallels2/ada-legacy-index.html
The Ancient Era
1500 BC – 475 AD
The Self Advocacy Movement