Application - Another State or NBCOT Certified (Equivalency or Reciprocity)
- Applicants must apply online. New users must "Register to Access Site". Applications work best in Google Chrome.
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy or Minnesota Occupational Therapy Assistant license before practicing or using protected titles. Any licensing or processing fees are your responsibility and are nonrefundable. The Board reserves the right to reject or cancel any outdated applications. Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are received by the Board office.
Note: Before beginning the online application process you will need to have detailed information available including: social security number, alien card number, or Tax ID number, and if applicable, other license or registration numbers, date issued, and expiration dates.
Methods of Licensing:
Apply for a full license by Equivalency under Minnesota Statutes §148.6412, if you hold a current certificate issued by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) and may hold or have held a credential in another state.
Apply for a full license by Reciprocity, under Minnesota Statutes §148.6415, if you DO NOT hold a current certificate issued by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT), but, you hold a current and unrestricted credential for the practice of occupational therapy in another state or jurisdiction.
How to Get Started:
All applicants are required to complete the following:
- Review Licensing Methods: To avoid delays with your application. Ensure you review all application
- Online Application: Complete the online application through your online account. License fees are submitted at the end of the online application. First time users are required to "Register to Access Site". (Account Login is linked above).
- Criminal Background Check: Minnesota Law requires that all applicants for initial licensure must complete a fingerprint-based criminal background check. The Criminal Background Check (CBC) Office will email you a packet containing additional information and directions after you submit the application and fees online. CBC results can take up to three (3) to five (5) weeks following receipt of the fingerprint packet in the CBC office. Detailed information on the CBC process can be found on the CBC website.
- Practice Questions: If you answered yes to any of the practice questions, you may be required to submit further legal/medical documentation. The Board office will contact you concerning the documentation needed.
- In addition to the above, submit the additional documentation listed below, required for each licensing method.
Equivalency - Documents to be send directly to the Board office:
- NBCOT Verification of Certification: Provide this documentation if you hold a current and unrestricted certificate from NBCOT. Information on how to request this may be found on the NBCOT website. The NBCOT Verification of Certification is NOT the same document as the exam results.
- License Verification: Provide this documentation for all licenses you hold or have held for the practice of occupational therapy and/or healthcare. Information should be sent directly from the licensing agency to the Board office. Provide the licensing agency, with the Verification of License Form linked above. However, the licensing agency may use their own template, as long as all the information on the Minnesota Board form is included.
- Additional information may be requested from the Board.
Reciprocity - Documents to be send directly to the Board office:
- License Verification: Provide this documentation for all licenses you hold or have held for the practice of occupational therapy and/or healthcare. Information should be sent directly from the licensing agency to the Board office by mail. Provide the licensing agency, with the Verification of License Form linked above. However, the licensing agency may use their own template, as long as all the information on the Minnesota Board form is included.
- Statute or Administrative Rules From The Licensing Agency That Issued Your Initial License: Provide the Statute or Administrative rules from the licensing agency at the time of initial license issuance. The information must demonstrate that the requirements for the credential are equivalent to or exceed the requirements for licensure under Minnesota Statute §148.6401 to 148.6449.
- Additional information may be requested from the Board.
Online Application Tips:
- Contact Information: If you currently reside in a foreign country, select "FC" in the state box. Provide the country name in the country box.
- Occupation and Other Education: If your school is not listed in the drop down menu, select "Other School", then manually enter the school name and location. The Board requires that your provide ALL higher education, including other degrees earned and other schools attended. Ensure you include the dates attended for each school.
After the Board receives ALL necessary documents, allow five (5) to ten (10) business days for review of your license application for approval.
What Happens Once My License Has Been Approved?
Once approved for full licensure, you will receive correspondence via mail and your license information will appear on the License Look Up tool.
You may begin to practice as soon as your name appears on our License Look Up tool. The website is updated as licenses are issued. Each licensee is responsible for following the Continuing Education Requirements. Read the Continuing Education Requirements in Minnesota Statute §148.6443.
Maintain Current Contact Information:
Per Minnesota Statute §148.6428
, each licensee is responsible for maintaining current name, address, and primary employment information with the Board. These changes must be submitted to the Board within thirty (30) days of the change. All notices or correspondence provided to the licensee's contact information on file will be considered delivered. Click here
to find detail information.
If you require an alternate format (i.e., large print), please call 1-800-627-3529.