skip to content
Primary navigation

Temporary License Application - New Graduate

Account Login - Applicants must apply online. New users must "Register to Access Site"
New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form - Complete this form upon completion of your application and provide to the Board office. 
In the State of Minnesota, you must have a current Minnesota Occupational Therapy or Minnesota Occupational Therapy Assistant license before practicing or using protected titles. Any licensing or processing fees are your responsibility and are nonrefundable. The Board reserves the right to reject or cancel any outdated applications. Applications will not be considered complete until all required documents are received by the Board office. 
Method of Temporary Licensing-New Graduate
Apply for Temporary Licensing by New Graduate method, if you have completed professional education from an accredited educational program for occupational therapy within the past two (2) years, have not taken the NBCOT examination AND have an employer and qualified occupational therapist to serve as a supervisor.
How to Get Started:
  • Online Application: Complete the online application through your online account. License fees are submitted at the end of the online application. First time users are required to "Register to Access Site".
  • Practice Questions: If you answered yes to any of the practice questions, you will be required to submit further legal/medical documentation. The Board office will contact you concerning the documentation needed. 
  • In addition to the online application, submit the following items to the Board:
    • New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form: Complete and submit via email to or US mail (form is linked above). 
    • Occupational Therapy Degree Transcript: Your official transcript must include your professional degree and date awarded. The transcript must be sent directly from your school or transcript agency in an unopened, sealed envelope or by official electronic version to the Board's contact information below. OR
    • Certificate of Completion: If you have met all degree requirements but a transcript is not yet available to verify your degree, the Board will accept a Certificate or Letter of Degree Completion from your academic program that indicates completion of all degree requirements. However, your Occupational Therapy Degree Transcript must be sent when it becomes available.
    • Additional information may be requested from the Board. 
After the Board receives ALL necessary documents, allow five (5) to ten (10) business days for review of your temporary license application. If approved for temporary licensure, you will receive correspondence via mail and your license will appear on the License Look Up tool.
What Happens Once My License Has Been Approved?
Once approved, your temporary license will be in effect for six (6) months. You may begin to practice as soon as your name appears on our License Look Up tool. The website is updated as licenses are issued. 
Supervision Requirements:
Supervision is required for new graduates that have not passed the NBCOT exam. A qualifying supervisor must be a licensed occupational therapist. Supervision requirements are listed in Minnesota Statute 148.6418 subd. 4.
Temporary License Renewal 
Attention: Effective August 1st, 2020, Temporary License Renewals will no longer be available due to changes to Minnesota Statute 148.6401-6449. Temporary License Renewal Application must be submitted no later than July 27th, 2020 to be eligible for consideration of temporary license renewal.
Temporary licenses-New Graduate may be renewable one time for an additional six (6) months, if the exam requirement remains unmet and the individual has not otherwise been disqualified. Visit the Temporary License Renewals page for further information. 
Active Temporary Licensee Information: 
  • Upon receiving your license information in the mail, provide your supervisor with a copy of your temporary license approval letter and the supervisor information from Minnesota Statute. 
  • Within thirty (30) days report other employers, supervisors, and/or places of employment using the New Grad Supervisor Reporting Form. You must report any additional supervisors, employers, and/or additional work locations.
  • If you have more than one employer or place of employment, you must submit information for every employer and supervisor. A fee is not required for submission of additional employer information.
  • If you fail the NBCOT exam, you may continue to work as long as your temporary license is current.
If you require an alternate format (i.e., large print), please call 1-800-627-3529.
back to top