skip to content
Primary navigation

Commenting in a PUC Docket

The PUC regulates vital utilities and services that are integral aspects of our everyday lives. We welcome and encourage public participation by making a comment. 

A comment is a statement of your opinion about any issue that the Commission is deciding on. A comment could include a recommendation about what the Commission should do, or answers to questions asked in a public notice.


Comments can help shape regulatory decisions, but public comments are not the only piece of information considered when the PUC makes a decision. All public comments are filed in eDockets and are part of the “official record” which is reviewed by PUC staff and Commissioners. The official record may include comments from the public, issue advocate, state agencies, expert testimony, utility information filings, and more. The Commissioners review all information in the official record, consider state laws, and then decide on an issue. 

Comments are not votes. Commission decisions are not based on the number of comments for or against a particular issue

Tips for preparing an effective comment

A notice announcing an open comment period is in eDockets. The notice provides a list of topics and questions for comment. 

1. Learn about the issue

  • Learn as much as you can about the filing. This could include reviewing the original petition, a project application, complaint, or other document initiating a Commission action.

  • Look in eDockets. Follow the search tips to access all of the records associated with the docket.

2. Identify your relation to the docket

  1. Are you a customer of the affected utility?

  2. Do you live in the project area and/ or operate a business that will be affected by the project or issue?

3. Be specific about your concern

Present a concise and thorough argument about what should happen related to the PUC action

  • If you are concerned about effects on your quality of life, what parts of your life will be impacted?

  • If you are concerned about environmental effects, or wildlife impacts, who or what would be harmed if the environmental effects occur, and in what way?

  • If you are concerned about a financial impact, how will the financial impact affect you? What will you need to change about your life if the impact occurs?

4. Explain the basis for your opinion and knowledge

  • Have you consulted similarly situated members of the public?

  • Have you done research, and if so, what did you research?

  • Do you know of a similar outcome in a comparable situation?

  • Do you have education or training in the subject on which you are commenting?

  • Have you consulted experts on the subject?

5. Propose an alternative

  • If there is something in a proposal that you have a concern about, propose a solution or an alternative that would mitigate the impact. Include supporting evidence, whenever possible, such as. maps, pictures, charts, scientific articles, reports, or news articles

  • If you do not like a planned construction site, propose a modification to the planned site that would reduce or eliminate the impact you are concerned about.

  • If you do not like a perceived environmental impact, propose a way to reduce or eliminate the impact you are concerned about.

  • If you do not like a perceived effect on your quality of life, propose a way to reduce or eliminate the effect on your quality of life.

Filing a comment

Comments are public documents and are filed with all the information you include in the comment. Please be sure to remove any personal information that you do not want to be public before you submit. To ensure your comments are filed with the case you are interested in, provide the docket number. Docket Numbers can be found in the eDockets system.

To submit a comment online, use this form

written form is available. Email as an attachment or mail in. Please reference the docket number.

  • Email:

  • Mail: Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, 121 7th Place East, Suite #350, Saint Paul, Minnesota, 55101.

  • Fax: 651-297-7073.

  • EFile comments directly by creating your own account in eDocketsYou must register and create an account in order to submit comments directly to the docket.


Verbal comments are accepted during public hearings or public meetings where a court reporter is present.

Please note, comments can include attachments but not any requiring installation of software or a redirect to an external site.