skip to content
Primary navigation
Teacher with students in classroom


Teachers looking for resources for renewing or moving licensure tiers can find information here. To access your File Folder Number, please use License Lookup.  

Tier 3 and Tier 4 Renewal Information: Clock Hours and Mandatory Trainings

Clock Hours
Minnesota teachers with a Tier 3 or Tier 4 license can view the number of clock hours and mandatory trainings that have been reported to PELSB by the teacher's school district through the online licensing system. Please note, clock hours kept in third party sites (e.g. Keep Certified) will not be shown.
During the first time you log in to the online licensing system, you will need to enter your File Folder number and License Serial Number under "View my license account" to associate your Google account with your file.
When you are in your license account, select "View my clock hours."
Please note: If you do not know your license serial number, you can log into the online licensing system and request your serial number.
Online Renewal System Icon

Tier 1 and Tier 2 Renewal Information

Tier 1 and Tier 2 licenses can be renewed through PELSB's online license renewal system.

District Verification Forms

At the end of the online application, the teacher will receive a document checkoff list that includes the District Verification form. It is the teacher's responsibility to share the District Verification form with their school district for completion. Failure to provide a completed District Verification form may result in the application being forfeited. Once the form is completed, please mail the form to:
Professional Educator Licensing and Standards Board
1021 Bandana Blvd. E., Suite 222
St. Paul, MN 55108


To renew a Tier 1 license, a teacher must attempt the Minnesota Teacher Licensure Examinations (MTLEs) aligned with the teacher's assignment.

Teacher Shortage Areas


Renewing An Expired License

Review the renewal requirements that are listed on the bottom of your expired license. You can view your license by accessing Educator License Lookup.

  • If you held a five-year professional teaching license, you must meet the 125 clock hours and mandatory components that are currently in place.
    •    If you currently teach and/or reside in Minnesota, you must work with your local continuing education committee to have your clock hours approved.
    • If you live and work outside of Minnesota, you must document how you meet the renewal requirements of your lapsed license. Information and documentation can be found at the bottom of PELSB's Renew My License webpage. Documentation must be submitted to PELSB for approval prior to renewing your license.
  • If you held a one-year license because of testing or other requirements, please contact PELSB. We will assist you in the renewal process.
  • If you held any other type of license, please contact PELSB for more information.
  • If you have a job offer with a Minnesota public school and are unable to meet renewal requirements prior to starting your position, you may be eligible for a once in a lifetime one-school year extension to your license. Please contact PELSB for further instructions.
  • If you are unable to meet the renewal requirements listed on your license and do not have a job offer with a Minnesota public school, you can apply for a three-year short call substitute teaching license. You can apply for the substitute license here.
back to top