skip to content
Primary navigation
Feature image for Who to Call

Who to Call

Who To Call

If you have questions or concerns regarding your telephone service...

Name of organization Description

Minnesota Department of Commerce 


The Minnesota Department of Commerce retains records of licensed telephone companies, and can help you locate phone companies serving your area. If you want to file a formal complaint with the Public Utilities Commission, we can explain the process. We also post helpful information on our website, such as how to understand your phone bill, and how to avoid getting slammed, crammed, or otherwise scammed by telephone companies.

Other ways we can help: Copies of official commission documents such as orders, carrier lists and tariffs Access to service area maps Low income assistance information, applications or complaints Difficulty completing a phone call Application to provide local or long distance phone service in Minnesota

Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development, Office of Broadband Development

(651) 259-7610

Questions about broadband/Internet service in Minnesota can be directed to the Office of Broadband Development at DEED. General information and resources related to broadband are also available on the Office of Broadband website.

Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, Consumer Affairs Office 


Consumer complaints about local and in-state long distance telephone service are addressed by the Consumer Affairs Office of the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission. This office also assists utility customers by mediating disputes with companies regarding issues such as service, billing, and installation.

Billing disputes/errors Deposits Extended Area Service Rates Service areas Service Problems (installation and repair) Pre-paid phone cards

Minnesota Office of the Attorney General 


Advertising complaints/deceptive marketing Cell phone complaints (e.g., contracts, service, billing) Internet issues Pay-per-minute calls (e.g., entertainment lines, 900 numbers) Recording telephone calls State-to-state or international long distance rates Telemarketing issues Unauthorized charges on phone bills, including slamming Unsolicited faxes

Federal Communications Commission 

(888) CALL-FCC (225-5322)

800 and Toll Free numbers Surcharges and fees (e.g., universal service) Radio or television interference

Better Business Bureau 



Cable TV 

Call your local City Hall


Department of Revenue 


Taxes on utility bills

Federal Trade Commission

National Do Not Call Registry 



Gopher One (Department of Public Safety) 

"Call Before You Dig"



Pay Phones 

(call pay phone owner at number listed on phone)

Refunds Repair

back to top