skip to content
Primary navigation

Gas and Electric Bill Assistance

The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission's Consumer Affairs Office (CAO) can help Minnesotans find options to help pay your Gas and Electric bills. The CAO assist consumers with complaints on energy and telecommunications utility services, service quality, billing problems, and service disconnections and reconnections. The CAO is responsible for administering enrollment in the state’s Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP), the federal Lifeline program and the federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP). The CAO can also help you with issues related to Solar Energy, Distributed Generation, and Community Solar Gardens. 

While the Commission does not regulate sewer and water service, there may be financial assistance available to help you pay your bill. Learn more at the Department of Commerce's webpage.

To get in touch with the Consumer Affairs Office, you can call at 651.296.0406 or 800.657.3782 or email at Commission has Spanish and Hmong language speakers on staff.

Options to help with gas and electric bills

  • Minnesota’s Energy Assistance Program offers up to $2,000 to cover your costs for heat, power and water, and is free to households with eligible incomes. Both renters and homeowners can qualify.

  • The Weatherization Assistance Program offers free home energy upgrades that will permanently reduce your energy costs.

  • Low-income Gas Affordability Program (GAP) - If your home is heated with natural gas and you qualify for Energy Assistance, you also may qualify for GAP. Contact your gas utility company for information. 

  • Low Income Electric Rate Discount - If you receive Energy Assistance, you may also qualify for a credit on your electric bill. Contact your electric utility company for information. 

  • The Salvation Army HeatShare provides emergency assistance to pay utility bills. The emergency assistance can be used to pay for natural gas, oil, propane and electricity. 

  • United Way 2-1-1 is a free service that can help find agencies and resources during a crisis, such as emergency needs for food, shelter, utilities, or mental health. Dial 2-1-1. 

back to top