skip to content
Primary navigation
File a complaint

File a Complaint About Your Utility Service or Ask a Question

The Minnesota Public Utilities Commission's Consumer Affairs Office (CAO) helps resolve disputes between customers and utility companies. You can call the Consumer Affairs Office at 651.296.0406 or 800.657.3782 or email at

Filing a Complaint

A complaint is a statement that there is a problem with your utility service or customer service, or that the utility has done something wrong. A complaint could ask the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission (PUC) for help with a problem or just share information. You can make a complaint at any time about anything that the PUC regulates. Complaints may be shared with your utility provider and, if you agree, added to the official record if it is related to a case.

The Consumer Affairs Office assists consumers with resolving disputes involving their regulated utility providers. Our team will work with you to determine the issues and facts, and then interact with the utilities to attempt to resolve any problems. If you unsure about filing a complaint, contact us. Please follow the steps outlined below. 

Next Steps: 

  1. If you are comfortable, contact your utility provider: Before contacting us, we recommend that you give your utility provider a chance to resolve your complaint by contacting their customer service department. Contact information is provided on your utility bill or on the utility website. 
  2. Contact us: If your utility provider cannot resolve your complaint, or if you are dissatisfied with the resolution, we are available to help. To get the best results from your interaction with us, we encourage you to prepare some information first.
    • Your name, address, telephone number, email address. 
    • The name of the utility company. 
    • The service address or location of the complaint. If the complaint location is a business, the name of the business. 
    • A description of what happened and any steps you have taken to fix the problem. 
    • If you have documentation, information on times, dates and/or who you spoke with at the utility office. 
    • Include a copy of your bill or other information 
  3. File a complaint: Using the online form below or printable Consumer Complaint Form. Please send printed forms via email at, fax at 651-297-7073, or U.S. Mail at Minnesota Public Utilities Commission, 121 7th Place East, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55101. You can also fill out the CAO Consumer Complaint/Inquiry Form below and email it to the CAO directly by clicking the submit button at the bottom. 
  4. What Happens Next: Your complaint is reviewed and Consumer Affairs Office staff will contact you to discuss it. If your complaint is within areas regulated by the Commission we will ask the utility to investigate your complaint. CAO staff will work with the utility to resolve the issue and we will report the results back to you. Some issues may be referred to the Office of the Attorney General or another state agency. Most complaints are resolved within a few weeks, some complaints will take longer to resolve. During Cold Weather Rule season from Oct. 1 to April 30, if you receive a disconnect notice and need assistance working with the utility company, contact the PUC right away. We can help to ensure your service stays on or is reconnected. 

Click here to see a guide on How to File a Complaint.

back to top