In Minnesota, people of Color (those who identify as a race other than White alone, and/or those who are Hispanic or Latin(x)) make up 20% of the total population. Non-Hispanic White Minnesotans represent the remaining 80% of the statewide population.
All race groups have grown recently in MN, but between 2010 and 2018, the state has added five times as many People of Color as non-Hispanic White residents. Populations of Color are distributed unevenly across the state, and are more likely to live in metro areas than rural areas.
Between 2010 and 2018, the fastest growing racial group in Minnesota was the Black or African American population, which grew by 36%, adding more than 96,500 people. Second fastest was the Asian population, which grew by 32%, adding 69,800 people, followed by the Hispanic or Latin(x) population, which grew by 24%, adding 59,000 people. (Black or African American and Asian race groups are that race "alone" and not Hispanic or Latin(x)).
(All data from 2018 Population Estimates, U.S. Census Bureau).
Note: Users needing race/ethnicity data are cautioned that the file below contains estimates for each race group that include individuals who are that race alone plus that race in combination with one or more other race(s). Therefore, adding the five race groups will result in a sum of more than the total population for any county or the state because multiracial individuals appear in more than one column (unlike the file immediately above). However, for any one race group, this file will give the most inclusive estimate by race. This is particularly helpful for the American Indian population, which contains many multiracial persons.
Notes: Users are encouraged to use the Download to CSV option to more readily view all the data in these large tables. Although American Community Survey data about age, race and ethnicity are also available for counties, the Census Bureau Population Estimates above are preferred for county-level estimates. City-level estimates by age, race and ethnicity are not available from the Census Bureau's Population Estimates Program, which is why American Community Survey data are provided here. However, users wishing to directly compare cities to counties should use the American Community Survey data for both estimates.