Browse Opinions by Date
Request an Opinion
Help with searching
For a Topic Search use terms suggested on our Topics page. Please note that clicking the "Browse Topics" link on the Search Opinions tab will take you away from the search page to a different page, which will lose any existing search results or data that has been entered into search boxes. If you plan to search by topic, we recommend selecting your topic first, and complete any additional fields in the search form after that.
For a simple search, type a few words or a phrase in the Full Text search box, then hit Enter or click the Search button. Your search query can be a single word, multiple words separated by spaces, or it can use more advanced syntax described in the FAQ below. Try to use words that are likely to be unique to the content you're looking for.
Note: For best results when searching for a particular citation, spell out the section and subdivision. For example, “13.43, subdivision 4.”
No, the search engine is not case-sensitive. For example, a search on "CONSENT" will also return pages containing "Consent" or "consent". A search on "licensing" will also return pages containing "LICENSING".
Yes, the search engine checks your search words against all of the words collected from the web site. When a word appears to be misspelled, the search engine looks at all the words it knows and offers you a word that could replace it.
To search for a phrase, type the phrase in quotation marks. For example, type "official records" in quotes in the search box.
- Boolean operators must be typed in UPPER CASE or they will not be recognized as operators.
- The Boolean operators 'OR', 'NOT', '-', and '+' may be used in your query.
- Using 'AND' is not necessary since all words are searched by default.
- The asterisk '*' can be used as a wildcard character.
||Use 'OR' when you require only one of the search words to appear in the results. Example: "city OR county"
|NOT or -
||Use 'NOT' or '-' when you do not want to exclude results that contain a particular term. Examples: "economic development NOT support" or " economic development -support "
||Use '*' as a wildcard to search on all words that contain the letters you enter. You must enter a minimum of three letters plus the '*' character. Example: "employ*" would find "employ" or "employer" or "employee"
There are a few reasons why you could have received this message:
- Your word may be misspelled and the search engine can't find a substitute for it.
- The information you are looking for may not be available on this website.
- There may not be an advisory opinion available that matches your search terms. Browse our Topics page for search term ideas, or contact our office for assistance.
About Search Results
The advisory opinion library currently includes:
- Data practices advisory opinions issued by the Commissioner of Administration from 1993 to the present.
- Open Meeting Law advisory opinions issued by the Commissioner of Administration from 2003 to the present.
The Commissioner's authority is found in Minnesota Statutes, section 13.072. Opinions are nonbinding, but a court may give them deference in a court action. Parties to a court action that act in conformity with an advisory opinion are not liable for certain damages or attorneys fees.
A written, numbered, and published opinion issued by the attorney general shall take precedence over an advisory opinion issued by the Commissioner of Administration.