What We Do
We are responsible for the following:
- Providing informal advice to members of the public (including the media) and members of government who have questions about data practices;
- Assisting with the Commissioner of Administration's responsibilities by researching and drafting advisory opinions, evaluating applications for temporary classification and requests for approvals of new uses of data, and processing appeals of challenges to accuracy and/or completeness of data;
- Providing legislative assistance by tracking legislation and reviewing changes proposed by individuals, organizations, government entities, and the Legislature;
- Preparing explanatory and helpful publications to assist government entities in performing their duties and to assist individuals in exercising their rights;
- Preparing model forms, policies, and procedures to assist in compliance;
- Consulting on complex legal, technical, and policy issues;
- Providing training; and
- Consulting with the information technology community to ensure that information systems are designed to comply with data practices laws.
Learn more about the work of the Data Practices Office.