skip to content
Primary navigation

Assistive Technology for College Students

If you need assistive technology to access higher education

Have you graduated high school? Are you thinking about continuing your education? Here are four AT-related differences between high school and higher education that you need to know:

  1. No more Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). Academic adjustments and accommodations are made case by case.
  2. No more IEP meetings. You must request assistance when you need help.
  3. You are now responsible for anticipating your AT needs in class and on tests.
  4. You are now responsible for requesting accommodations and knowing the school's procedures and timelines for requesting accommodations.

Want to learn more?

Check out these websites and resources:

National Resources

State Resources


Legal Assistance

The Minnesota Disability Law Center (MDLC) provides free civil legal assistance to individuals with disabilities statewide on legal issues related to their disabilities. All individuals with disabilities are eligible to receive help, regardless of age or income level. Learn more at

back to top