Ed Roberts, Activist
A Study Guide to the Life of Ed Roberts
By Matt Kramer
Member, Minnesota Governor's Council on Developmental Disabilites
Use the questions below to study the important events and ideas in the life of Ed Roberts.
Click the "Show Answers" button to reveal the answers.
1. Where did Ed attend college to pursue his Ph.D.?
2. Where did Ed first live on campus and why?
3. What was Ed’s first life and death battle?
4. What was Ed’s biggest fear when he re-entered high school and what did he learn?
5. What lesson did Ed learn about people who pitied him?
6. What role did Ed play in the first Center for Independent Living?
7. The Independent Living Movement is part of a larger movement. What is that called?
8. What lesson did firing his first attendant teach Ed Roberts?
9. What did Ed realize about living a longer life?
10. People always wanted to ask Ed about disability issues but he preferred to teach a life lesson about character. What was one of those characteristics?
11. What was one lesson for all people with disabilities?
12. How did he apply this lesson to his own life?
13. What motivated Ed to learn how to use a power wheelchair?
14. If he could have done things differently, how would he have reshaped the Centers for Independent Living?