skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Mowing/Haying on Trunk Highway Right of Way
Alternate Title:
Description: State law prohibits full width mowing of roadsides outside of city limits except during the month of August. Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
Subject: Roads and Highways
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:10:26 PM
Modification Date: 7/9/2019 8:58:32 AM
Agency Name: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.
Agency Phone: 800-657-3774
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Unit Name: Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-366-4668
Unit Fax: Contact person(s): Unit URL:
Unit Address:
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Audience: Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

State law prohibits full width mowing of roadsides outside of city limits except during the month of August. Anyone wishing to mow grassy vegetation and remove hay from portions of a trunk highway right of way must complete a  Mowing/Haying Permit Form. Send the completed application and contact the appropriate MnDOT District Office for required insurance information. Contacts and addresses can be found at Statewide district right of way permits contacts



Fill Out Form Completely

• Print (in ink) or type all information.
• Be sure to sign the form. Submit the original form only.

Submit the following information:

• One permit application completed in its entirety; if an item does not apply, state "N.A." in the blank.
• A sketch of the proposed work area, showing its relationship to the trunk highway.

All mowing and haying on highway rights of way are governed by Minn. Stats. § 160.232 and Minn. Stats. § 160.2715. All applicants must agree to comply with these statutes, and with the standard conditions of the permit and any special provisions added to the permit.

For safety reasons, MnDOT will not permit mowing on any highway with full control of access (freeway design) or, except in very limited circumstances, in the center median of an expressway. Mowing may also be refused in other locations for reasons such as safety, proximity to wildlife management areas, protection of plantings and native species of vegetation, etc. Any applicant desiring information on herbicides used for weed control in the desired segment should contact the appropriate MnDOT District Office at Statewide district right of way permits contacts

Beginning on January 1, MnDOT will begin accepting applications from the owner or occupant of abutting land to hay in the abutting area. All other permit applications will be accepted beginning March 1.

Upon receipt of the application, it will be reviewed by MnDOT to determine if all requirements have been met.

A permit is not valid until it has been signed by MnDOT's authorized representative and delivered to the applicant. Any person working on MnDOT right of way pursuant to this permit must carry a copy of the permit.

The applicant will be notified and a security deposit will be requested. The permit will have special provisions and drawings indicating the requirements. Read and observe these instructions during operations. Work cannot be started until all permit and deposit requirements are met and you have received the approved permit.

The applicant must notify the MnDOT permit office for final inspection. If the mowing/haying and all other related work is satisfactory the deposit will be returned to the applicant. The approved permit is a legal document and should be retained with other valuable papers.

Refer to  Mowing / Haying Permit Application and Mowing and Haying FAQs

Statutes: 160.232


Mowing / Haying Permit Application

Mowing/Haying Permit Early Application Authorization

Permits are processed in the district offices. Refer to Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts 

Period of Issuance:

Receipt of a permit for a location in one year does not establish priority for a permit at that location in future years.

Length of Determination: MnDOT will generally act on applications in the order in which they are received at the appropriate MnDOT District Office.
Other Info:
Activity: Utilities
Roads and Highways
License Detail URL:

Mowing and Haying

Utility Agreements and Utility Permits

MnDOT's Social Media Hub

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)


back to top