Title: Asbestos Contractor License
Description: To perform asbestos-related work, a contractor must be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH).
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:10:58 PM
Modification Date: 12/9/2019 11:48:54 AM
Agency Name: Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL: https://www.health.state.mn.us
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Health is the state's lead public health agency, responsible for protecting, maintaining and improving the health of all Minnesotans.
Agency Phone: 651-201-5000
Agency Fax: Agency URL: https://www.health.state.mn.us
Agency Address: Health, Minnesota Dept. of
625 Robert St. N.
P.O. Box 64975
Division Name: Asbestos Program
Division Phone: 651-201-4620
Division Fax: Division URL:
Asbestos-related work requires MDH licensing
A contractor must be licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to perform asbestos-related work (ARW). ARW includes the work area preparation, enclosure, removal, encapsulation or maintenance of asbestos-containing material (ACM) during a project in a facility or building that equals or is greater than these amounts:
Two other types of projects are regulated by MDH:
- 260 linear feet of friable ACM on pipes, (10 linear feet on pipes in residences)
- 160 square feet of friable ACM on other facility components, (6 square feet in residences) or,
- 35 cubic feet of friable ACM on or off facility components (1 cubic foot in residences).
ARW also includes indoor air monitoring and clearance air sampling. Companies performing either of these activities must be licensed as an asbestos contractor if they are performing any air sampling on a regulated project.
- - series of small projects that equals or is greater than these quantities in a calendar year; or
- - maintenance activities that equal or are greater than these quantities in a calendar year; these maintenance activities are for maintaining the equipment or building component the asbestos is located on, not maintaining the asbestos itself.
How to become an MDH licensed asbestos contractor
To become an MDH licensed asbestos contractor, or to renew an MDH asbestos contractor license, you must:
Allow at least 2-4 weeks for processing the application. To minimize delays in the application approval process, make sure the entire application is filled out completely, including all necessary signatures, and that the licensing fee is included.
- Complete the Asbestos Contractor License Application (PDF). Completely fill out the application, including the company’s State of Minnesota Business Identification Number issued by the Minnesota Department of Revenue, and the policy number of the company’s Workers' Compensation Insurance Coverage. For more information on Workers' Compensation Insurance, contact the Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry.
- Submit the application and fee to MDH. Include the nonrefundable licensing fee of $100 in the form of a cashier’s check, business check or money order. Cash is not accepted.
Changes in company information
MDH should be informed of any company information changes, especially address, telephone number, fax number and e-mail address. This is important so the company can be made aware of any current information as it is released by MDH.
For more information about asbestos, contact the Asbestos Program or call 651-201-4620.
Asbestos Contractor License Application (PDF)
Application forms are available at Asbestos Forms
Include a cashier's check, business check or money order, made payable to the Minnesota Department of Health. Do not send cash. Personal checks are not accepted. This fee is not refundable.
Initial or renewal license - $100
Duplicate license - no fee
Period of Issuance:
An asbestos contractor license is effective for one year. An
asbestos contractor license is not transferable.
Length of Determination: Allow 2-4 weeks for processing.
License Detail URL:
Asbestos Contractor Licensing