skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Access / Driveway Permit
Alternate Title:
Description: An Access / Driveway Permit is required whenever there is a request for change in access to or from a Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) right-of-way or a change in use of the property.
Subject: Roads and Highways
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:10:26 PM
Modification Date: 12/24/2009 3:10:33 PM
Agency Name: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.
Agency Phone: 800-657-3774
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Unit Name: Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-366-4668
Unit Fax: Contact person(s): Unit URL:
Unit Address:
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Audience: Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

Required whenever there is a request for change in access to or from MnDOT R/W or a change in use of the property.

-Legal description of the property (see property or tax statement)

-Plans or drawings of the location.
-For private, single-family dwelling or field access, include one drawing showing the proposed location in relation to property lines and proposed buildings. Show all dimensions and if possible, draw to scale.

-For commercial, industrial or multiple dwelling access, include one copy of the site/plot plan and grading and drainage plan. Show all dimensions, drawn to scale.

-Show MnDOT right of way with any access control.

Following approval and deposit the applicant will receive instructions as to how the access must be constructed.

Following construction the Permit Section must be notified for final inspection.

Review will determine if turn lanes and/or bypass lanes are necessary.

Rules: 8810.0050

Statutes: 505


Application for Access/Driveway Permit Form 1721

Utility Surety Bond Form – Individual (PDF)
Use this form for work on an individual project.

Utility Surety Bond Form – Continuing (PDF)
Use this form to establish an ongoing bond on file that covers all utility permits by a single company.

Continuing Bond Report (PDF)
A list of utility owners and contractors that carry a continuing bond to cover their utility work within MnDOT right of way.

The application is available at Utility Agreements and Permits section, Permit information and forms

Permits are processed in the district offices. Refer to Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts 


Following Access Permit approval, applicant will be notified of the amount of deposit, if any, required (cashier check, money order, surety bond only). The amount of the deposit depends on the potential damage that could occur.

If the construction of the access is satisfactory, the deposit will be returned to the applicant.

The owner will construct the access at his/her own expense.

Period of Issuance:

One year.

Length of Determination: 30 days - but may vary due to complexity of the project.
Other Info:
Activity: Utilities
Roads and Highways
License Detail URL:

Utility Agreements and Utility Permits

MnDOT's Social Media Hub

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)

back to top