skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Miscellaneous Work On Trunk Highway Right Of Way
Alternate Title:
Description: Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
Subject: Roads and Highways
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:18:15 PM
Modification Date: 7/15/2019 4:12:09 PM
Agency Name: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.
Agency Phone: 800-657-3774
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Unit Name: Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-366-4668
Unit Fax: Contact person(s): Unit URL:
Unit Address:
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Audience: Hold Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

Complete each item on the application. If an item does not apply, print N.A. in the blank.

Provide a detailed location of proposed work and give reference to nearest cross street of roadway.

Include plans or proposed work along with: detailed drawings showing type and location of work, detail any type of traffic interference this work may require and if work includes a utility indicate type, kind and size of utility to be placed.

After the application has been completed signed and dated, mail the application with the required plans to the above address marked to the attention of the District Permits Office. See Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts

After the permit has been approved, the applicant will be notified by letter of the amount of the deposit required. Upon receipt of proper deposit (Cashier's or Certified Check, Money Order, or Surety Bond - No personal checks or company checks) the permit will be issued. The permits will have special provisions indicating the construction requirements. Read and observe these provisions during construction operations.

After construction has been completed and all turf items re-established, the applicant must notify the permit office for final inspection. If all work is satisfactory, the deposit will be returned to the applicant via certified mail.

A surety bond is usually required and retained for one or two years after installation. Wording for bonding (individual or continuing) is available at Permit information and Forms

MnDOT accommodation of utilities on highway right of way shall be followed. Refer to the Utility Agreements and Permits Policy and Guidance

Rules: 8810.3100 - .3600

Statutes: 161.45


Application for Miscellaneous Work on Trunk Highway Right of Way (PDF) 
Use this form for minor work that includes installation of utility service connections that do not cross or parallel the roadway within trunk highway right of way; maintenance of utility facilities; installation of miscellaneous guy wires and anchors; placement of temporary obstructions on the right of way; temporary relocation of a more minor nature to accommodate a construction project; vegetation removal; manure force mains; community gardens; and spill cleanup.

Utility Surety Bond Form – Individual (PDF) 
Use this form for work on an individual project.

Utility Surety Bond Form – Continuing (PDF) 
Use this form to establish an ongoing bond on file that covers all utility permits by a single company.

Continuing Bond Report (PDF) 
A list of utility owners and contractors that carry a continuing bond to cover their utility work within MnDOT right of way.

Permits are processed in the district offices. Refer to Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts


Variable deposit fee.

Period of Issuance:
Length of Determination: Length of processing time for the permit varies, depending on the type and scope of proposed work.
Other Info:
Activity: Utilities
Roads and Highways
License Detail URL:

Utility Agreements and Permits

MnDOT's Social Media Hub

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)


back to top