Title: Plumbing Contractor
Description: Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI)
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:14:52 PM
Modification Date: 7/26/2010 11:32:24 AM
Agency Name: Labor and Industry (DLI), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL: http://www.dli.mn.gov
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) oversees the state's apprenticeship, construction codes and licensing, occupational safety and health, wage and hour standards and workers' compensation programs and the Office of Combative Sports (OCS).
Agency Phone: 651-284-5005
Agency Fax: Agency URL: http://www.dli.mn.gov
443 Lafayette Road N.
Division Name: Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD)
Division Phone: Division Fax: Division URL:
Unit Name: Licensing and Certification Services
Unit Phone: 651-284-5034
Unit Fax: Contact person(s): email@example.com
Application URL: https://secure.doli.state.mn.us/license/intro.aspx
Renewal URL: https://secure.doli.state.mn.us/license/Default.aspx
a person who may contract to perform or offer to perform plumbing work in all areas of the state provided the contractor has at all times a licensed master plumber as a responsible individual and maintains compliance with the required bond, general liability insurance and workers' compensation insurance requirements (Minn. Stat § 326B.46). Person is defined as an individual proprietor, partnership, corporation, limited liability company, limited liability partnership, limited partnership or any other legal entity.
Plumbing Contractor License Renewal
Fee reductions, continuous bond and streamlined online renewal among changes
- Plumbing contractor license renewal fee - $128
- New continuous bond means contractors do not have to submit a bond with their renewal.
- New online business renewal process eliminates most paperwork.
All current plumbing contractor licenses expired December 31, 2017. Instructions for renewing plumbing contractor and restricted plumbing contractor licenses are below.
- During the renewal, you can review the information we have on file for your company, make changes and pay the renewal fee.
- Renewal fees cannot be paid over the telephone.
License bond is continuous
- Bonds required for plumbing contractors and restricted plumbing contractors are continuous, so you do not have to submit bond forms with your renewal.
- The amount of the bond is also cumulative, which means there will be $25,000 in coverage for each two-year license term.
Secretary of State filing
- To renew your license, your corporate, LLC or assumed name filing with the Secretary of State must be up-to-date.
- On all renewal forms, especially your insurance certificates, your business name must appear EXACTLY as it is filed with the Secretary of State.
If you have changed your business structure (going from a sole proprietorship to an LLC or corporation, or from a corporation to an LLC), you will need to apply for a new license for your new business entity.
- Include proof that your business filing is active. A printout of the page from the Secretary of State's website showing the business filing is sufficient.
- Completed renewals can be submitted by mail or in person
DLI does not accept cash as payment for licenses, inspections, copy requests and other DLI services. Accepted methods of payment include checks, money orders and electronic payments that can be made through the DLI website.
Plumbing contractor/restricted plumbing contractor license application packet
Plumbing registered employer application
Plumbing/SSTS combined bond
Plumbing contractor license renewal
Applications forms are available at Licensing -Plumbing Contractor Licenses
Period of Issuance:
Plumber Licenses: All plumber licenses expire on December 31st.
Length of Determination:
Master Plumber Contractor Bond
License Detail URL:
Plumbing and Mechanical Contractors
Verify a License or a Bond