skip to content
photo of computer keyboard, pen and a electronic tablet

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
Alternate Title: CDL - Commercial Driver's License
Description: Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS)
Subject: Commercial Drivers
Commercial Vehicles
Driver Medical Waivers
Drivers' License
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:11:57 PM
Modification Date: 3/6/2024 9:33:23 AM
Agency Name: Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Public Safety (DPS) is responsible for the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA), Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement, Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS), Emergency Communication Networks, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Office of Justice Programs, State Fire Marshal, Pipeline Safety, State Highway Patrol, Capitol Security and Traffic Safety.
Agency Phone: 651-201-7000
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Public Safety (DPS), Minnesota Dept. of
445 Minnesota Street

St. Paul
Division Name: Driver and Vehicle Services (DVS)
Division URL:
Division Description:
Division Phone: 651-297-5029
651-282-6555 TTY
Division Fax: Division URL:
Division Address:
445 Minnesota St., Suite 190

St. Paul
MN 55101-5190

Audience: Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

A person must  have a commercial driver’s license (CDL) to operate any of the following commercial motor vehicles (CMV) in Minnesota:

A combination of vehicles in which the gross combination weight (GCW) is more than 26,000 pounds and the towed unit has a gross vehicle weight (GVW)* of more than 10,000 pounds — Minimum age is 18

A single vehicle with a GVW exceeding 26,000 pounds — Minimum age is 18

A vehicle designed to transport more than 15 persons, including the driver — Minimum age is 18

Any size vehicle that requires hazardous materials placards — in most cases, a person must be 21 years of age to transport hazardous materials. **

Any size vehicle outwardly equipped and identified as a school bus — Minimum age is 18

* Minnesota law defines gross vehicle weight (GVW) as the greater of:

  • The actual weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles plus the weight of the load, or 
  • The manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVW)
Interstate transportation refers to trade, traffic, or transportation between
  • A state and another state or country, or
  • Two places in a state on a route that goes through another state or country, or
  • Two places in a state as part of trade, traffic, or transportation originating or terminating outside the state

Intrastate driving refers to driving only within the state of licensure — in this case, Minnesota.

Intrastate transportation refers to transportation that does not involve interstate travel.

Commercial Motor Carrier Requirements

If you operate any class of vehicle as an employer or employee, you may be subject to commercial motor carrier requirements. This includes driving single unit and combination vehicles of over 10,000 pounds GVW (such as construction vehicles), and vehicles used to deliver packages and other articles. Also included are vehicles designed or used to transport more than eight passengers (including the driver) for compensation. The requirements may include the need to possess a valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examiner's certificate, and restrictions on the number of hours you may drive. There may also be vehicle maintenance, insurance, and inspection requirements.

Commercial Driver’s License Classes

Class A — Any vehicle towing a unit of more than 10,000 pounds GVWR with a gross combination weight rating (truck plus trailer) over 26,000 pounds.

Class B — A single-unit vehicle that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR.

  • For a passenger endorsement, the skill test must be passed in a bus with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds and a passenger capacity of more than 15, including the driver.
  • For a school bus endorsement, the skill test must be passed in a school bus with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds and a passenger capacity of more than 15, including the driver
Class C — A single-unit vehicle, 26,000 pounds GVWR or less, with one or more of the following endorsements:

    • Hazardous materials
    • Passenger
    • School bus (with passenger endorsement)

You must be at least 18 years old and have a valid Minnesota driver’s license in order to obtain a Minnesota commercial learner permit (CLP). All applicants must obtain a CLP, which will allow them to practice driving the commercial vehicle only with another driver with the same class license or higher. The CLP must be held for 14 calendar days before being able to take the CDL road tests.

The process to apply for the CLP requires:

    Passing all the applicable knowledge tests for the class and endorsements desired.

    Complete the application for a CLP.

    Submitting a self-certification form and providing a valid medical examiner certificate, if applicable.

    Providing citizenship documents which includes:

        o Valid, unexpired U.S. Passport or Passport card

        o Certified copy of birth certificate from a U.S. State, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa or the Northern Mariana Islands

        o Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State

        o Certificate of Naturalization issued by DHS

        o Certificate of Citizenship issued by DHS

        o Valid, unexpired Permanent Residence Card


        o Unexpired employment authorization document issued by USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) or an unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form

If the name on your U.S. passport, birth certificate or permanent residency card has changed you must also present proof of your legal name change(s). Acceptable proof consists of certified marriage certificates, certified divorce decrees or other certified court orders. Divorce decrees or other court orders must specify the name change. Your identity and name change documents need to show a clear link between your citizenship or permanent residency document and your current name.

Commercial Learner Permits are valid for 180 days and are not renewable; the applicant must retake the knowledge tests for another CLP.

A driver's license may be restricted to the size and type of vehicle used for the road test. Unless the CMV used for testing has air brakes, the driver will be restricted to driving vehicles without air brakes, even if they passed the air brake knowledge test.

Endorsements and Restrictions

Additional testing and fees are required to add endorsements or remove restrictions from a CDL. Adding school bus and passenger transport endorsements requires a road test in an appropriate vehicle.

To renew a CDL with hazmat or school bus endorsement, the hazmat or school bus endorsement knowledge test needs to retaken. The knowledge test is not required to renew licenses with other endorsements.

In order to upgrade a driver’s license with school bus, hazmat or other endorsements, the driver must pass a written test for each endorsement.


(H) Hazardous Materials*               

(N) Tank Vehicle                                      

(P) Passenger Transport                         

(S) School Bus                                        

(T) Doubles/Triples                               

(X) Tanker and Hazardous Materials        

(E) Automatic Transmission CMV
(K) Intrastate only
(L) Vehicles without air brakes                                                   
(M) No Class A passenger bus                                                
(N) No Class B passenger bus                                                   
(O) No Tractor-trailer CMV 
(P) No passengers in CMV bus                                                   
(V) FMCSA waiver                                                        
(W) Buses less than 24 passenger capacity                                                    

(X) No cargo in CMV tank vehicle 
(Z) Air over hydraulic brake system

  Review the Minnesota Dept. of Public Safety, Driver and Vehicle Services Driver's License Information and the

Minnesota Commercial Driver's Manual

Minnesota Commercial Driver's Manual

The Driver's license manuals are a summary of Minnesota's motor vehicle and licensure requirements. For complete standards, consult the state statutes and rules.


Rules: 7409

Statutes: 171.02


View a list of all DVS Forms/Documents/Manuals at Driver's License Forms


Driver's License Fees 

Fees effective July 1, 2023 

*Available at driver exam stations only
**Fee does not include the cost of a new license
Driver's Licenses​​​​​​
Class A, regular​
​Class A, under age 21
​Class B, regular or under age 21​
​Class C, regular or under age 21
**School Bus Processing Fee - original and renewal applications 
​Class D, regular or under age 21
​Provisional Driver’s License
​Class D Provisional License upgrade to under age 21 driver’s license-no violations on record ($3.50 credit)
​Duplicate Driver’s License - all classes
​​**Enhanced Driver's License (in addition to applicable Driver's License card fee)​​​​

​Identification Cards​​​
​Under Age 65​​​​​
​​Age 65 and Older
​Physical Disability, Developmental Dis​​ability or Qualified Mental Illness
​Homeless Youth (no application fee is charged - documentation required)
​** Enhanced Identification Card (in additi​on to applicable ID card fee)​

​Class D Instruction Permit (valid for 2 years)
​*Class A, B or C Instruction Permit
​*Endorsement Examination Fees
​*Motorcycle Instruction Permit/Endorsement Fee
​*Motorcycle Endorsement Renewal (2-wheel only)
​**Standby or Temporary Custodian Designation

​**Expedited (Fast Track) Services
​Driver's License and Identification Card​
Certain applications do not qualify for fast track services, these include but are not limited to: EDL/EID and any first time applications.
Note: Driver's License or Identification Cards will be processed within three (3) business days. Customer should receive the card via UPS(United Parcel Service) within 10 business days. Refer to the DVS Office Locations Map​ to see participating offices.​

​**Revoked licenses: Alcohol/Drugs/Criminal Vehicular Operation (7/1/03)
​Other revocation offenses, including revocation for no-fault insurance
​**Suspended license
​No-Fault Insurance (suspended)​
​CDL Disqualification

​​Motorized Bicycle O​​​perator’s Permit Fee ​Fee​​
​*Knowledge test and 30-day instruction permit
​Motorized Bicycle Operator’s Permit before age 21 and valid to age 21
​Duplicate Permit
​Renewal, age 21 or older

​​*Third and Subsequent Knowledge Test after failing first two
​​*Third and Subsequent Skills Test after failing first two
​​No Show (road/skills test) Fee​

Period of Issuance:

Commercial driver's licenses always expire on the applicant's birthday and must be renewed every four years once they have reached the age of 21.

Length of Determination: Ten days to two weeks.
Other Info:
Activity: Carriers
Commercial Drivers
Motor Vehicle
MN Drivers License
Drivers License
License Detail URL:

Driver and Vehicle Services

Online Services

MN Dept. of Public Safety (DPS)

Social Media

back to top