skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Moving Buildings Over Highways Permit When Over Legal Size(s) or Over Legal Weight
Alternate Title:
Description: Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
Subject: Commercial Vehicles
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:15:20 PM
Modification Date: 9/24/2019 4:21:34 PM
Agency Name: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.
Agency Phone: 800-657-3774
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Unit Name: Oversize/Overweight Permits
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-296-6000
Unit Fax: 651-215-9677
Contact person(s):
Unit URL:
Audience: Hold Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

Minnesota Building Mover License is required when building exceeds 16' wide or 20' long, except for a farmer moving a building back to his farm, as well as, for movement of manufactured housing. (Minn. Stat. § 221.81)

Single Trip Permit required which will have restricted hours of move and limited routes.

Building Mover Permitee required to hire Lead Certified Peace Officer Escort and Rear Certified Escort. All escorts must be certified by the Minnesota State Patrol.

"Oversize Load" sign with flashing lights and flags at widest points is required. At night, signs must be lighted or reflectorized and load outlined in lights.

Refer also to the OS/OW Trucking in Minnesota brochure

This permit does not authorize movement on any public roadway other than Interstate, U.S. and Minnesota routes. 


Statutes: 169.86


Applications and forms are available at Applications and Forms: Commercial Vehicle Operations


Single Trip Permit (extra for overweight) - $15

Period of Issuance:

Up to 14 (fourteen) moving days.

Length of Determination: 3 to 5 days. Varies depending on size and route.
Other Info:
Activity: Motor Carriers
Roads and Highways
Oversized Vehicles
Motor Vehicle
Overweight Vehicles
License Detail URL:

Oversize/Overweight Permits

Building Mover

Commercial Vehicle Operations (CVO) Online

MnDOT's Social Media Hub

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)


back to top