Title: Teaching Licenses - Various Types
Description: Minnesota Department of Education (MDE)
Subject: Teachers and Education
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:17:53 PM
Modification Date: 6/21/2010 12:00:52 PM
Agency Name: Education (MDE), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/index.html
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) works to help communities to measurably improve the well-being of children through programs that focus on education, community services, prevention, and the preparation of young people for the world of work.
Agency Phone: (651) 582-8200
Agency Fax: Agency URL: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/index.html
1500 Hwy. 36 West
Division Name: Educator Licensing -For licensing applications and information call:
Division Phone: (651) 582-8691
Division Fax: (651) 582-8809
Application URL: https://w1.education.state.mn.us/MIDMSWEB/MDELogin.html
Renewal URL: https://w1.education.state.mn.us/MIDMSWEB/MDELogin.html
Educator License Application Type Definitions
Apply for a Minnesota Educator License through the Online Licensing System (see link above). Use the following license type definitions to determine the type of license application to complete.
- First-Time Full Professional Minnesota Education License: Available to applicants who have completed a teacher or administrative licensure program or applicants applying for licensure as a school nurse, school social worker, Speech Language Pathologist, school counselor, or school psychologist.
- Limited Full Time License: Available to applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher degree with at least a minor in the area being requested, but have not completed a teacher education program. Application also requires a district verification form signed by the Minnesota public school district verifying a hardship in locating a fully licensed teacher for the assignment.
- Limited Intern: Requires district and college/university signature.
- Two-Year, Short-Call Substitute: Available to applicants who have a bachelor’s degree, but not in education. The school district must verify a hardship in locating licensed teachers.
- Five-Year, Short-Call Substitute: Available to applicants who have completed a teacher licensure program, but do not wish to apply for a full-time license at this time. Available to related services personnel only after the issuance of a full-time Board of Teaching license.
- Lifetime Short-Call Substitute: Available to applicants who held an education license and are currently receiving retirement annuities. Applicants who currently have a Minnesota File Folder Number (FFN) will need to use the paper application (available at Licensure Forms, Verification of Teacher Retirement for a Lifetime Short-Call Substitute License). If you have never had a Minnesota FFN, you must apply using the system online for a “Lifetime Short-Call Substitute License.”
See Licensure Forms
See Fingerprinting Requirements and Fee in the Requirements section above. Fees are non-refundable processing fees and will not be returned to applicants not qualifying for licensure.
First-time online application - $93.45
Online renewals - $58.70
Lifetime Qualified Short-Call Substitute Teaching License - $57
Minnesota Nonrenewable Teaching License - $57
Fee for a first-time paper application - $91.75
Fee for an application for an addition to a MN teaching license application - $57
Period of Issuance:
Varies depending upon the type of license.
Length of Determination: Contact the Department.
Teachers / Teaching
License Detail URL:
Board of Teaching
Becoming a MN Educator
Educator License Lookup
Online Licensing System