skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Drainage Permit
Alternate Title:
Description: Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)
Subject: Drainage
Roads and Highways
Creation Date: 9/11/2008 2:12:32 PM
Modification Date: 7/15/2019 4:06:24 PM
Agency Name: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) provides a balanced transportation system. Responsible areas include aeronautics, highways, motor carriers, ports, public transit, railroads and pipelines.
Agency Phone: 800-657-3774
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Transportation (MnDOT), Minnesota Department of
395 John Ireland Blvd.

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Unit Name: Utility Agreements and Permits Unit
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-366-4668
Unit Fax: Contact person(s): Unit URL:
Unit Address:
395 John Ireland Blvd., Mail Stop 678

St. Paul
MN 55155-1899

Audience: Hold Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

-Legal description of the property (see property or tax statement)

-Plan of proposed work with:

    . Drainage area map with original and final contours
    . Drainage calculations showing rate of runoff for existing conditions and proposed work
    . Calculations for culvert, pond and pipe sizing, plan and profile of all proposed drainage structures
    . Indicate water flow directions on drainage map
    . Include calculations /details for special structures, etc.
    . Indicate wetland impacts and mitigation when applicable
    . Indicate temporary erosion control devices

Permit will also require local authority approval, such as Watersheds, Corps of Engineers or any other regulatory agency.

The permit will have special provision indicating construction requirements.

In all districts the type of work will determine which form needs to be completed. Miscellaneous Work On Trunk Highway Right-of-Way Form 1723 is issued for repairs of utility or rebuilding structures (manholes, catch basins, etc) that are already in place. The Miscellaneous Work On Trunk Highway Right-of-Way Form 1723 is issued out of the district permits office and approved locally. Deposit or bond is required.

The Utility Accommodation Permit Form 2525 is issued through the Central Office Utilities Unit in St. Paul. They may require a bond of $2,000 minimum and up to $20,000 or more. These are reviewed by various offices and may take 6-8 weeks for approval. Completed work approval is done by district personnel.


An incomplete application will delay processing. Permittees are encouraged to contact MnDOT early in the application process.

Instructions for Filling Out Form:

*Print (in ink), type the application, or fill out online and print the form Application for Drainage Permit (PDF)
*Submit original form and be sure to sign at the bottom. COPIES AND FAXES ARE UNACCEPTABLE AND WILL BE RETURNED. 
*Complete each item on the application. If any item does not apply, print “N.A.” in the blank.
*Legal descriptions must be completed before an application can be processed:

  • The legal description of the property may be obtained from your deed to the property or tax statement.
  • Long legal descriptions should be attached to the application on separate sheets of paper.

*Mail completed application (both sides of form) with the required submittals to the District office.
     Contacts and addresses can be found at Statewide district right of way permits contacts
*Before a drainage permit that outlets to MnDOT right‐of‐way (R/W) or crosses the trunk highway can be reviewed or issued it is required that
      the applicant submit letters from any other affected regulatory agencies, listed below, before a permit will be considered.
      These letters must indicate the property to be drained is not a wetland; the agencies approve the drainage request and any conditions the agencies
      have put  the request. If any of the agencies call the area to be drained a wetland, MnDOT cannot permit the entry of the tile or ditch onto state land.
                                                •   Farm Service Agency (Form AD‐1026)
                                                •   Dept. of Natural Resources (if over 10 ac. to be drained)
                                                •   Watershed District
                                                •   Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS)
                                                •   Local Ditch Authority 

Private Agricultural Drainage Submittals (Max 11” x 17” Sheet Size) and Design Standards:

*Legible drainage area map for the affected area with contours, drainage area boundaries, and flow direction.
      Crossing watershed boundaries shall not be permitted.
*Drainage Plan Sheets with drainage system plan and profiles.
*Evidence of tile line failure (i.e. video inspection)
*Gravity tile lines will not require a casing, but must be a min 12” RC or TP Pipe. All pressurized tile lines require a casing.
*Inspection tees will be required 3’ within R/W boundaries. Drop inlets may be substituted at landowner’s request.
*A new drainage permit is required for any future repairs within R/W, and no new outlets to MnDOT road ditch are permitted.

Commercial, Residential and Other Development Technical Submittals (Max 11” x 17” Sheet Size) and Design Standards: 

*Legible drainage area maps: pre‐ and post‐project drainage conditions with contours, drainage area boundaries, flow direction,
      and basic land use (buildings, pavement, and “green space”). Separate maps for pre‐ and post‐project (min. map scale 1”=100’).
*Diverting runoff to another sub‐watershed or watershed (discharge point) shall not be permitted.
*Project Plan Sheets relevant to Drainage: existing site conditions with all existing utilities, proposed grading plan with flow direction,
      and drainage system plan and profiles. The plans must show the location of any proposed facilities, relocation of existing facilities,
      applicable wetland impact/mitigation features, and temporary sediment and erosion control measures. 
*Summary table: pre‐ vs. post‐project peak discharges to MnDOT Right of Way (R/W), 2, 10, and 100 year events with a 24 hour duration.
     Peak discharges shall not increase (pre‐ vs. post‐project) utilizing Atlas 14, Volume 8 rainfall depths.
*Accepted drainage area models: HydroCAD or XPSWMM; submit model printouts AND electronic files to run the model.
*Curve numbers shall be determined per NRCS methodology and should be modified as needed based upon detailed knowledge of
      soil type and specific conditions on site. Names of drainage areas should be the same in maps and models.
*Appropriate time of concentration (Tc) computations and assumptions. NOTE: MnDOT rejects those that overestimate or underestimate
     Tc to offset post‐project peak discharge increases.
*Available freeboard for existing and proposed treatment ponds/infiltration basins shall be shown on the drainage area maps as well as
      the normal and 100‐year high water levels; minimum 2.0’ freeboard between road surface and proposed 100‐year HWL for ponds/basins
      along MnDOT R/W. Emergency overflow required (5’ min. crest width) and must be lined from crest to toe of slope with Turf Reinforcement
      Mat or Category 6 or 7 Erosion Control Blanket, at a minimum.
*Future location of infiltration/filtration basins shall be protected from construction tracking and sediment during all construction phases;
      basins kept “offline” or not constructed until the area flowing to them is stabilized/vegetated.
*Temporary/permanent erosion control at disturbed areas that sheet flow to any disturbed areas within MnDOT R/W shall be either
      Erosion Control Mat or Bonded Fiber Matrix. Project discharge points to MnDOT ditch or channel shall have max. velocity of
      6 fps for 50‐year event and shall be located to not cause erosion or conflict with existing ditch.
      Avoid direct connections to MnDOT storm sewer system; if direct connection, applicant is responsible for providing a good connection
      (typically a new structure). MnDOT offers no warranty that there will not be a hydraulic backwater effects on new storm line.
*Continuous wood chip or compost sediment control logs (biorolls) for erosion control at project perimeter (no silt fence).
*Project must meet all requirements of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) Construction Storm Water Permit.
*Proposed driveway/access road culverts on MnDOT R/W designed for a 10‐year Atlas 14 rainfall event AND the proposed access road
     does not cause water to come within 1’ of the trunk highway road surface during a 100‐year event.

Rules: 8810.0050

Statutes: 103B.155


Application for Drainage Permit (PDF) 

Utility Surety Bond Form – Individual (PDF) 
Use this form for work on an individual project.

Utility Surety Bond Form – Continuing (PDF) 
Use this form to establish an ongoing bond on file that covers all utility permits by a single company.

Continuing Bond Report (PDF) 
A list of utility owners and contractors that carry a continuing bond to cover their utility work within MnDOT right of way.

The application is available  at Permit information and forms

Permits are processed in the district offices. Refer to Utility Agreements and Permits Contacts


No fee.

After the Drainage Permit has been approved, applicant will be notified of the amount of deposit, if any, required (cashier check, money order, or surety bond only)

If the construction operation is satisfactory, and the turf items re-established,the deposit will be returned to the applicant.

Period of Issuance:

1 year

Length of Determination: 30 days - but may vary due to complexity of the project.
Other Info:
Activity: Utilities
Roads and Highways
License Detail URL:

Utility Agreements and Permits

MnDOT's Social Media Hub

Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT)


back to top