skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: Unlicensed Individual -Plumbing Registration
Alternate Title:
Description: Definition: any person, other than a journeyman or master plumber (or restricted master or restricted journeyman plumber), who, as a principal occupation, is engaged in working as an employee of a plumbing contractor under the direct supervision of either a master or journeyman plumber (or restricted master or restricted journeyman plumber) or plumbing contractor in learning and assisting in the installation of plumbing. Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI)
Subject: Plumbers
Creation Date: 4/8/2010 1:35:20 PM
Modification Date: 4/13/2010 12:03:04 PM
Agency Name: Labor and Industry (DLI), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry (DLI) oversees the state's apprenticeship, construction codes and licensing, occupational safety and health, wage and hour standards and workers' compensation programs and the Office of Combative Sports (OCS).
Agency Phone: 651-284-5005
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address:
443 Lafayette Road N.

St. Paul
MN 55155

Division Name: Construction Codes and Licensing Division (CCLD)
Division URL:
Division Description:
Division Phone: Division Fax: Division URL:
Unit Name: Licensing and Certification Services
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-284-5031
651-297-4198 (TYY)
Unit Fax: 651-284-5743
Contact person(s):
Unit URL:
Audience: Hold Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

Registered unlicensed plumbers

    An individual who is not licensed as a plumber may only perform plumbing work in Minnesota if they are registered with us as a registered unlicensed plumber (formerly known as an apprentice).

    There is no work experience required to register as a registered unlicensed plumber and the initial filing fee is $14.

    Once registered, a registered unlicensed plumber may only perform plumbing work under the direct supervision of a license master plumber or journeyworker plumber.

    For work in communities with a population under 5,000, unlicensed work can be supervised by a license restricted master plumber or restricted journeyworker plumber.

    Unlicensed plumbers must also be a W-2 employee of a licensed plumbing contractor, licensed restricted plumbing contractor, or a registered plumbing employer (for work performed on the employer's premises only).

Statutes: 326B.092


Licensing -Personal Plumber Licenses

Fees: Filing and renewal fee - $14
Period of Issuance:

Unlicensed registrations must be renewed by June 30 of each year. 

Length of Determination: One week.
Other Info:
Activity: High Pressure Pipefitter
High Pressure Piping
License Detail URL:


Minnesota Department of Labor & Industry (DLI)

back to top