skip to content
photo of card catalog - no text

Find a license in the A-Z Index

1. Refine the topic list by letter


2. Select a topic to view their list of licenses

Title: License to Cross Public Lands and Waters
Alternate Title:
Description: Minnesota law requires that a license be obtained from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) for the passage of any utility over, under or across any state land or public waters. Public waters are any water bodies (lakes, rivers and some wetlands) identified as such on the Public Waters and Wetlands Maps.
Subject: Lands, Public
Creation Date: 9/15/2008 10:26:10 AM
Modification Date: 9/11/2019 1:34:42 PM
Agency Name: Natural Resources (DNR), Minnesota Department of
Agency URL:
Agency Description: The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) manages the state's natural resources. Hunting, fishing, state forests and parks, lakes, rivers and streams, boating and water safety, trails, snowmobiling, skiing, education, enforcement, wildlife management, lands and minerals are managed by the DNR.
Agency Phone: 651-296-6157
Agency Fax: Agency URL:
Agency Address: Natural Resources (DNR), Minnesota Dept. of
500 Lafayette Rd.

St. Paul
MN 55155

Division Name: Lands and Minerals Division
Division URL:
Division Description:
Division Phone: Division Fax: Division URL:
Unit Name: Assistant Director
Unit URL:
Unit Description:
Unit Phone: 651-259-5959
Unit Fax: 651-297-3517
Contact person(s): Unit URL:
Unit Address:
500 Lafayette Rd., Box 45

St. Paul
MN 55155-4045

Audience: Application URL:
Renewal URL:
Versa URL:

For the installation of utility services (as defined in statute) across DNR administered land and public waters, a license is required.

Applicant must identify the land corridor and water crossing sites into which the utility will be installed.

Upon issuance, the license gives the licensee the authority to install, maintain, repair and replace the utility service within the specified corridor. Licenses must be issued in the name of the company or unit of government providing the utility service.

Contact Lands and Minerals Regional Operations staff for more information.

Rules: 6135

Statutes: 84.415


Application for License to Cross Public Lands and Waters

This form is available at Utility Crossing License


Application fee of $2,250 for a water crossing license and $3,500 for a public land crossing license must accompany the license application. There's also monitoring fee to cover monitoring the construction of the utility line and prepare special terms and conditions of the license.

In addition, there is a license fee are based on the length and width of the requested crossing. License fee tables are found in Minn. Rules 6135

Period of Issuance:

25 or 50 years; applicant decides which they want.

Length of Determination: Approximately 3 to 12 weeks.
Other Info:
Activity: License Detail URL:

Division of Lands and Minerals

DNR Mobile Apps

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR)

Social Media Community


back to top