- Complete the Application for Licensure online (preferred) or download a paper form from the link at the bottom of the page.
- Total Initial Application fee is $192.00.
- All fees are non-refundable.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 1, 2017
The Minnesota Board of Optometry is statutorily required to complete a Federal and State Criminal Background Check prior to issuing your license. In Minnesota, a formal application to the Board will initiate this separate processing conducted by another agency, the Criminal Background Check Unit (CBC). Initial results indicate this may add three to four weeks to complete the CBC and application to the license process. Once you apply online or the paper application is received, the Criminal Background Check Unit will contact you with directions to complete the CBC. The $32.00 fee is added to your application and there is no additional fee. The Minnesota Board of Optometry will be informed of the results and move your application forward.
THERAPEUTIC DRUG CERTIFICATION/LEVEL LICENSURE
- As of January 1, 2013, all Minnesota Licensed Optometrists meet therapeutic certification standards (TPA) and are considered as meeting nationally recognized TMOD requirements. This level licensure standard is all inclusive of any former education including, but not limited to DPA, TPA certifications if the Minnesota licensed O.D. is currently or initially licensed after January 1, 2013. One license certificate is issued which encompasses DPA, TPA and full licensure as a Minnesota Licensed Optometric Doctor, OD.
- You may either submit the supporting documentation in one packet or piece meal. As items are received, you will receive an email update indicating their verification and acceptance by the board.
- Required supporting documentation will be accepted in the Board office independent of the application.
- Official transcripts must be received directly from your school or college of optometry. Minnesota is considered a primary verification state which requires all items submitted for licensure to be validated from a primary source.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation - one letter which must be from a practicing optometrist in good standing from any state who has personal knowledge of the applicant. They do not need to reside or practice in Minnesota.
NBEO EXAMINATION RESULTS
- It is the applicant's responsibility to request NBEO scores are sent directly to Minnesota as one of their chosen score release states.
- All current examinations scores submitted by NBEO, must clearly list successful results of Part I, Basic Science; Part II, Clinical Science; and Part III, Patient Care and TMOD are received in the Board office.
- NBEO scores are not sent until they receive an official academic transcript indicating completion of the Optometric Doctorate. Minnesota will not license until official NBEO scores are received.
STATE LAW EXAMINATION
- The state law examination will be based on the Minnesota Statutes and Board Rules for optometry.
- Applicants should complete the Minnesota Law Examination online through the National Board of Examiners in Optometry (NBEO) www.optometry.org or through special arrangement can sit for the examination at the office of the Minnesota Board of Optometry by appointment.
- This examination must be completed prior to the Board's review of your application.
ISSUANCE OF MINNESOTA LICENSES TO PRACTICE OPTOMETRY
- The Minnesota Board of Optometry has delegated authority for staff to issue an initial license within 48 hours of successful validation of all items required, fees and all supporting documentation in the board office.
- For applications that require any variance or waiver of standard operating policies, the entire board must review and approve the application for licensure per their regularly called board meeting schedule.
Minnesota Board of Optometry
2829 University Avenue SE, Suite 403
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3250
(651) 201-2762 FAX (651) 201-2763
There are several different applications below.
APPLICATION FOR LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT OR APPLICATION FOR REINSTATMENT CANNOT BE DONE ONLINE, YOU MUST SUBMIT A PAPER APPLICATION.