The State Law Library houses the second largest law collection in
Minnesota. Under the motto "First Rung on the Ladder of Justice"
we strive to be the place where people go to find out the rules,
the statutes, and the regulations that govern the relationship between
citizens and society. Anyone who needs access to legal information
is welcome to contact the library. We offer legal reference services
in the library, through our website
and long-distance by phone, fax, email
The State Law Library serves the judiciary and all branches of state
and local government; the legal profession; other law, public and
academic libraries; and the general public.
These databases are all available to walk in users:
- HeinOnline (Full-text law journals)
- Index to Legal Periodicals and Books
- Minnesota Lawyer Judicial Directory
- Proquest Newspapers
- RIA Tax Checkpoint
- Besides law books, the State Law Library has print and electronic
versions of statutes and case law for all states and the federal
- We are a selective depository for federal and state government
- Special collections include the Minnesota appellate court briefs
for Supreme Court decisions, Court of Appeals published decisions,
and pending cases.
- We have items incorporated by reference in Minnesota Rules.
- Minnesota continuing legal education publications, and materials
to help self-represented litigants.