Please join us as we advocate for legislation that will protect and support our communication rights! We have over 7 bills to support and we need you there! Sign up now so we can make appointments with your legislators and join us for the rally.
Register for Deaf, DeafBlind & Hard of Hearing Lobby Day! Wednesday, March 8th, 2017!
Lobby Day is held every two years. The 2017 Lobby Day will be held on Wednesday, March 8th. The Capitol renovation will be complete and we will return there for our rally. We will continue to add more information to this page, so visit our page often for new updates!
What is Lobby Day?
Lobby Day is an exciting event that brings together deaf, deafblind and hard of hearing constituents, friends, family members, and allies, and their legislators to discuss issues that are near and dear to their constituents' hearts. This is your chance to educate your legislators about the importance of communication access and equal opportunity!
There are several parts to the day:
- Training in the morning and afternoon to increase your confidence when you meet with your legislator (optional)
- Appointments with legislators throughout the day!
- A big rally from 11:00 A.M. to 12:00 P.M. Come and show the community's strength! Special guest presenters to be announced.
Why should I register and how do I do it?
We need your registration so that we can provide accommodations, identify your legislator, and plan adequately for this event. Please do not join us without registering first!
You can register online to attend: Yes, I want to register to attend Lobby Day. Be sure to include your home address as we will need that information to identify your legislator.
Register early! It takes some time to arrange for accommodations, schedule appointments with legislators, and ensure adequate planning.
Proudly announce that you are going to Lobby Day! Tweet it to the world. Make a fun video about why Lobby Day is important to you and post it on Facebook. Send out an email and encourage your family, friends, and coworkers to sign up too. Be sure to be accessible and include closed captions, transcripts, and/or alt text for your pictures and videos. Use the hashtag #MobilizeDDBHH on social media.
We're so glad that you will be involved on this important day.
Who is helping to plan Lobby Day?
So far, the following organizations are involved with this big event.
- CSD Minnesota
- Deaf & Hard of Hearing Role Model Program (Lifetrack Resources)
- Deaf Mentor Family Program (Lifetrack Resources)
- DeafBlind Services of Minnesota
- Hearing Loss Association of America - Twin Cities
- Keystone Interpreting Solutions (KIS)
- Metro Deaf School
- Minnesota Association of Deaf Citizens
- Minnesota Deaf Muslim Community
- Minnesota DeafBlind Association
- Minnesota Employment Center (Lifetrack Resources, Rise, Inc., and Minnesota Vocational Rehabilitation Services)
- Minnesota Hands & Voices (Lifetrack Resources)
- Minnesota Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (MRID)
- Minnesota State Academies
- St. Paul & Minneapolis Black Deaf Advocates
- And more! The list is growing.
What topics will we discuss with our legislators?
You can share issues that are important to you with your legislators. Possible examples include:
- Increase funding for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services Division, including grants for Support Service Providers (SSPs) and Intervenors for children and adults who are deafblind as well as mental health services.
- More funding for MNCDHH to increase communication access.
- More training for service providers who work with older adults on the effects of age-related hearing loss.
- More funding for Deaf Mentors, who teach ASL to parents of children who are deaf, deafblind or hard of hearing.
- More funding for Minnesota State Academy for the Deaf.
- More funding for Vocational Rehabilitation so that they can serve those who are on their waiting lists.
- And more!
Lobby Day updates
Last Call! Nominations for 2017 Lobby Day Awards (ASL/English)
February 21, 2017 - Deadline to submit nominations is Wednesday, February 22, 2017.
MNCDHH Calls for Nominations for 2017 Lobby Day Awards (ASL/English)
February 14, 2017 - Recognize the achievements of community members by nominating them for an award!
Video Announcement about Deaf, DeafBlind & Hard of Hearing Lobby Day (ASL/English)
January 10, 2017 - Be sure to register! The earlier you RSVP, the better we can accommodate you.
Register to Attend 2017 Deaf, DeafBlind & Hard of Hearing Lobby Day
January 6, 2017 - Sign up to meet with your legislator and discuss topics that are important to you.
Amazing Turnout for Meet with Your Legislator Day 2015!
March 10, 2015 - We had an amazing turnout for Meet with Your Legislator Day 2015! It was very moving to see over 125 Deaf, DeafBlind, and Hard of Hearing Minnesotan community members, parents, professionals, and supporters filling meeting with their Legislators on March 4th. A huge thank-you goes out to everyone who participated in Meet with Your Legislator Day. This day would not have been possible without YOU!
Amazing Turnout for Deaf DeafBlind and Hard of Hearing Lobby Day 2011
March 11, 2011 - Did you attend Lobby Day 2011? Did you miss it? Read on for all the exciting details plus links to fun news items such as an interview with a young student who met with her legislator, video coverage of the noon rally and awards ceremony, and several online news stories about our award recipients!
Lobby Day 2009 A Smashing Success
March 8, 2009 - Deaf, hard of hearing and deafblind Minnesotans from across the state turned out in large numbers along with family, friends, and supporters to lobby against cuts to vital programs and services and to support this year’s bills being carried or supported by MCDHH. Close to 200 attended the training and 500 plus attended the rally. Our most sincere THANKS to all the MANY volunteers, individuals, and organizations who helped to make this day an overwhelming success! Each and everyone one of you will be thanked personally following the completion of our office relocation which has been taking place at the same time. Also, a picture gallery of the day's events and highlights will also be posted in the coming days. So please check back often. Thank you!