skip to content
Primary navigation

Telephone & Internet Discounts

The state Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP), along with the federal Lifeline program, and Affordable Connectivity Program(ACP), offer monthly service discounts on landline telephone, cell phone, or broadband internet service.

Several telephone companies and wireless (or cellphone) providers offer telephone service discounts to income qualifying households.

Questions or need help?

How much is the discount?

Minnesota's Telephone Assistance Program (TAP) is a $10 monthly bill credit for landline telephones. The Lifeline bill credit is up to $9.25 monthly for landline telephone service, cell phone service, or broadband internet service. There is an additional $25 Lifeline credit offered to a person living on Tribal lands or reservations. 

Am I eligible?

There are income guidelines for the programs. Your income must be at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines. You qualify if you are in one of these qualifying programs; Medicaid, Federal Public Housing Assistance, SNAP or food stamps, SSI, Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension Benefit. Telephone service must be in your name to qualify for the credit. 

What information will I have to provide?

You will need to show proof that you, or a member of your household, meet the income guidelines or that you are in one or more of the qualifying programs. You will have to provide proof of your income or provide proof that you are in one of the qualifying programs.  

What Phone or Internet company can I use?

Many landline (or home phone) and internet service companies and cell phone (wireless) companies offer telephone service discounts to income qualifying households. See below for information about wireless companies. 

Find a Telephone Company

Find landline telephone companies available in your city or township. The Public Utilities Commission regulates landline telephone company rates and service quality.

Wireless Providers

Wireless providers offer special Lifeline discount plans to qualifying customers. Some plan options offer free phones. Not all wireless companies offer Lifeline discount benefits. The approved companies and their contact information are listed below.

For other questions or complaints about wireless service and rates, please contact the Office of the Attorney General.

Wireless Provider Customer Service
Access Wireless 1-866-594-3644
American Assistance 1-877-266-7212
Assist Wireless* 1-855-392-7747
Assurance Wireless* 1-888-321-5880
enTouch Wireless* 1-866-488-8719
Life Wireless* 1-888-543-3620
North American Local* 1-877-200-1367
Q Link Wireless* 1-855-754-6543
SafeLink Wireless* 1-800-723-3546
StandUp Wireless* 1-800-544-4441
Tag Mobile 1-866-959-4918
Tempo Telecom* 1-877-822-8501
TerraCom Wireless* 1-888-716-8880
T-Mobile Wireless 1-800-937-8997
TruConnect* 1-800-430-0443

*This telephone company offers a free cell phone if you are eligible for Lifeline service.

Questions or need help?

If you have questions about the TAP or Lifeline programs or how to apply, you can contact your local telephone company or the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission's Consumer Affairs Office. The Consumer Affairs Office can be reached in the at 651-296-0406, toll free at 1-800-657-3782, or by email at

back to top