Executive Branch Leadership Careers
Thank you for your interest in a leadership position with our administration. The deadline for applying to be a Commissioner of a state agency was Friday, December 7. We received almost 500 applications for the leadership role in 23 state agencies. We are grateful for the overwhelming number of people who are stepping forward to be a part of the Walz-Flanagan Administration.
Although we are no longer taking applications for Commissioner, we are still collecting application materials for other agency leadership roles and for the Governor's Office. You can continue to submit a cover letter and resume for non-classified agency leadership positions in the following agencies, and for the Governor’s office, through the end of December for consideration in January.
We will fill leadership positions at a wide variety of state agencies, including:
To learn more about the work of these agencies, please visit their websites.
To apply for a leadership position with our administration (like Assistant or Deputy Commissioner) or for a position in the Governor's Office, please email a resume and cover letter to Gov.Careers@state.mn.us by December 28 at 11:59 pm. In your cover letter, please indicate the agency at which you are interested in working. Also, please indicate any specific position(s) in which you are interested in serving.
As an applicant for employment, you are being asked to supply information (data) that the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act classifies as private. The information you provide will be used as part of the employment application process. This information may be shared with the employees and agents of any state agencies or entities whose work assignments reasonably require access, including state agencies and entities for which you have not specifically indicated your interest. Others who may legally access the data are representatives of the Minnesota Attorney General’s Office and Minnesota Legislative Auditor’s Office, enforcement agencies with proper authority, and any other person or entity authorized by state or federal law or court order. You are not required to provide this information, but if you do not provide it, you may not be considered for employment. By submitting your cover letter and resume to (email address provided above), you acknowledge and agree to these terms.
The selection process for Commissioner appointments to the Walz Flanagan Administration is as follows:
- All interested individuals must submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In the cover letter, please specify the role or roles of interest.
- Following the applicant’s submission, the applicant will be asked to complete a questionnaire, which will be sent via email.
- Application submissions will be reviewed by the State Agency Hiring Team. Selected applicants will be invited to participate in a 30 minute phone screening interview and will be asked to provide three references.
- Following the phone screenings, selected applicants will be invited to participate in a first round in-person interview with members of the State Agency Hiring Team.
- After the first round of interviews, selected applicants will move to the final round of interviews, at which point the selected applicant(s) will participate in an in-person interview with the Governor-elect, Lt. Governor-elect, and incoming Chief of Staff.
Candidates for the non-classified positions in each agency must submit their resume and cover letter no later than 11:59 pm on December 28, specifying which position and which agency they are applying for. Application materials will be reviewed by the newly appointed Commissioner and the Governor's Office after the January 7, 2019 inauguration. Leadership teams will be assembled through the first months of the year by the agency leadership in consultation with the Governor's Office.
Commissioner candidates had to submit their resume and cover letter no later than 11:59 pm on December 7, 2018. Interviews began prior to December 7 and will roll through the end of the year. Our goal is to have appointments ready on January 7, 2019.
Executive-level appointments represent only a small fraction of the career opportunities available in state government. To learn about other state career opportunities please visit the Minnesota Careers website. This web page is for staff appointments only. To apply for an appointment to a State Board or Commission, please visit the Minnesota Secretary of State’s website.