skip to content
Primary navigation

Dispute Referral

What is a dispute referral?

  • A dispute is when people do not agree about something. For example, you may not be able to choose where you live, work or go to school. 
  • A referral process allows the Olmstead Implementation Office (OIO) to communicate with you about the issue and help you contact the right state agency. 
  • OIO cannot solve the problem for you. We can connect you with the state agency that might be able to help you. 

What should I do before filing a dispute referral?

  • Before you file a dispute referral, you should try to get help through other resources. 
  • Are you currently receiving disability services and have questions? Fill out this form, Question About My Services, and someone will contact you to help.
  • If you need help getting disability services, you can check with other agencies and organizations listed here: Resources

Who can use the dispute referral process?

  • People with disabilities
  • People advocating on behalf of someone with a disability

How do I file a dispute referral?

If you have already tried getting help from other organizations or agencies, you can email

What happens after I submit the form?

  • OIO staff will read your information and decide which state agency can help you.
  • OIO will ask the state agency to contact you. 
  • OIO will make sure the agency contacts you promptly and responds to your concern. 

What happens to the information I put in the form?

  • OIO will share your information with state agency staff. OIO will not share the information with anyone else unless a court or law says we have to. 

What can't the dispute referral process do?

  • The dispute referral process is not legal advice. OIO staff are not lawyers.  
  • OIO can't help you directly, but we will connect you with someone who can work on your concern. 
  • OIO can't help with problems with a county or city government or a service provider. If you have a concern like that, you should contact the government office or provider. 
  • The dispute referral process cannot help you get the services you might need. If you need help getting services, we list many resources here: Resources.

Sign up for Olmstead News email

Subscribe to Email News

back to top