Prevention of Abuse and Neglect
In October 2020, the Minnesota Olmstead Subcabinet created new workgroups to research ways to better serve people with disabilities in five critical areas. Each group will make recommendations to the Subcabinet based on their research. You can read more about why the workgroups were formed and how to get involved on this page: Minnesota Olmstead Plan Workgroups
What will the Prevention of Abuse and Neglect Workgroup do?
The Prevention of Abuse and Neglect Workgroup will work with State Agency staff to find ways to implement a Plan, adopted by the Olmstead Subcabinet in 2018. You can read the full plan here: Comprehensive Abuse and Neglect of People with Disabilities Prevention Plan.
The Plan recommended the following:
- Prevent abuse and neglect from happening in the first place by focusing on getting rid of the reasons why people are abused or neglected.
- Educate people with disabilities so they can make their own decisions and protect themselves from abuse and neglect.
- Educate family members and the public about how important it is for people with disabilities to make their own decisions and choices.
- Make all people in our communities more aware of what to do when they think abuse or neglect is happening.
- Make all people in our communities more aware of where to get help and services if they are survivors of abuse or neglect.
- Educate the people who work with people with disabilities on the important role they play in preventing and helping if abuse or neglect happens.
- Ensure that victims of abuse and neglect get help right away and the people who abused or neglected them cannot do it again.
- Use a variety of engagement tools to find out where people need more help, where we can prevent abuse and neglect, and how we can help people heal.
- Make sure that people with disabilities are leaders and partners in the work to prevent abuse and neglect.
State Agencies Assigned
- Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED)
- Department of Human Services (DHS)
- Department of Corrections (DOC)
- Department of Education (MDE)
- Department of Human Rights (MDHR)
- Department of Veterans Administration (MDVA)
Are workgroup meetings open to the public?
Each group will hold public online meetings during the course of their work. At the meetings, the workgroup leaders will talk about their work and listen to comments from the public. Sign up for our email news list to be notified when a meeting is scheduled: Subscribe to Minnesota Olmstead News.
All meetings are held from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m.
August 16, 2022
September 13, 2022
October 11, 2022
November 7, 2022
January 10, 2023
February 7, 2023
March 7, 2023
April 11, 2023